• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This black Charger is a hot box! What can I do?

Even in a white car with a white interior and working A/C, I still stick to the seats in the 95 plus degree and 95% plus humidity we have here.

I think one the biggest things I can do to help is to control the main source of heat: the headers.

Next step would be some sort of heat barrier/insulation behind the dash and on the floor.

Another thing I plan to do next is tinting the windows 20% with a good thermo blocker.
All good ideas! Ceramic coated headers make an incredible difference in keeping the heat inside the headers.

I used Dynamat brand but any of that type of insulation works wonders on keeping the heat out of the interior. If you have a console, make sure you seal in that area as well.

That being said, 85 degrees, probably humid, no ac......you are probably still going to be pretty damp when you get out of that car after 30 minutes. ;)

When you have the heat control all the way to the left (shut off), do you still feel some warm air coming out of the vents? If so, put a water shut-off valve on your heater hose.

Heater hoses passages are blocked off at the water pump with small screw in stainless steel plugs.

Even in a white car with a white interior and working A/C, I still stick to the seats in the 95 plus degree and 95% plus humidity we have here.

Oh I remember! My dad had a white '71 Satellite with black vinyl seats. That car got super hot in the summer time! We had to put towels on the seats to keep them from burning our legs.

All good ideas! Ceramic coated headers make an incredible difference in keeping the heat inside the headers.

I used Dynamat brand but any of that type of insulation works wonders on keeping the heat out of the interior. If you have a console, make sure you seal in that area as well.

That being said, 85 degrees, probably humid, no ac......you are probably still going to be pretty damp when you get out of that car after 30 minutes. ;)

I just adjusted the initial timing from 8 to 15 then took it for a ride to the gas station and back. Header temp dropped by about 100 degrees. Highest temp was 650 instead of 750. Still damn hot, but better. Bonus is the car ran better. Downside is the vacuum was way lower which made the brakes were soft. One thing after another with these old car.

The plan is to:
  1. Keep tuning the carb and timing
  2. Replace the headers with ceramic coated one
  3. Insulate the floor and firewall with stuff DeltaV recommended
  4. Put heat blocking tint on the new front windshield (97%) and side windows (15%)
  5. Move out west where it's less humid

Auto Transport Service
Back