• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This black Charger is a hot box! What can I do?

I can relate to the OP's lament. The GTX gets roast 'em hot while driving in summer.
Uncoated headers and full 3" dual exhaust will do that sort of thing, regardless of the nice padded factory-style carpets.
It's bad enough that my wife hesitates to go for rides in the car.
Thinking seriously of going to factory exhaust manifolds and pipe sizing to combat it, honestly.

That's the issue I'm facing. I love the sound, power, and look, but the heat! Modern day cars have shield around exhaust, maybe that's what I need on the under side?

You mentioned tinting your windows.

Oh, I'm tinting them!
What if this is another hot box like your charger :lol:

But it's white..... Right DeltaV?

Ok jokes aside it would 'be a good idea to install a heat shield like the modern car do and also a good idea peel n seal or dynamat in the floor and the fire wall

And this too

images (2).jpeg

Is your roof insulated? I put FatMat on my wife's Stang and Father in-laws Nova, I'm over 6' so my head sits pretty close to the roof and the barrier made a big difference compared to cars that I've been in without it.

Is your roof insulated? I put FatMat on my wife's Stang and Father in-laws Nova, I'm over 6' so my head sits pretty close to the roof and the barrier made a big difference compared to cars that I've been in without it.

I sprayed some schutz undercoating and stuck some foam in there from I got from Year One when I installed the headliner way back in '97. Haven't touched it since then.

Side pipes. Watch your ankles when you get out though

Why anybody here don't ask you about your carburetor ? Your exhaust temp are crazy high, correct me if am wrong but isn't the excess of fuel in the mixture can cause an increase in the exhaust temp?

Ok jokes aside it would 'be a good idea to install a heat shield like the modern car do and also a good idea peel n seal or dynamat in the floor and the fire wall
Peel and seal worked great. I spent $150. Put on 2 layers. I think 1 would work. I wrapped my headers too

I used something like the HP Sticky Shield on the bottom of a car that I installed a higher performance exhaust system. Good results, but your temps are super crazy hot.

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/automotive/heat-shield-and-thermal-barriers

About the exhaust temps. Last year, I had the total timing at 40 total and 15 degrees initial. The car ran like raped ape, but it would run hot with a rough idle. On the advice of others, I reduced the timing to 33 total and 8 degrees initial. The engine idles smoother, but with a whole lot less power; like 50 hp less via my ultra unreliable butt dyno. It now stutters on WOT while burping and popping when coasting down to 2k rpm while in gear.

I don't remember it being this bad last summer because I would only drive it when the air temp was below 85 because it would heat up so fast. At lot of that was because the iron water pump housing wasn't sealing to the block due to corrosion which would reduce pressure which sent the water temp through the roof. I'm thinking the exhaust temps went up after the timing reduction but I have no proof. I don't have anything to reference the header temps because I didn't start checking the header temps until the car started running like *** the first time out in earlier spring. I later found out that over the winter season I messed up #7 spark plug wire by dropping the AC compressor on it. So, this summer, I replaced the old 8mm 500 ohm MSD wires with 8.5mm 50 ohm MSD wires because some of the old boots burnt up and the new boots are better at handling higher heat. I don't know if the changes made it worst or the same.

Does that makes sense?

Why anybody here don't ask you about your carburetor ? Your exhaust temp are crazy high, correct me if am wrong but isn't the excess of fuel in the mixture can cause an increase in the exhaust temp?

This is the carb I have:

https://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts/sum-210232

It should have a 0.095 primary jet, 0.137 secondary, and a 1940 rod.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-0501-tuning-the-carter-thermoquad-carburetor/
https://carbkitsource.com/carbs/tech/Carter/pages/tqguide-Vaanth.html

I also used Fat Mat throughout the Coronet interior, including the roof and inside the doors. The floor is noticeably cooler than my Dart, which doesn't have any matting. Both run headers.

I'm running Classic Air - Perfect Fit in both cars. As the name implies, they install pretty easily. The dash was out of the Coronet when the air went in so it was a piece of cake. Remove the passenger seat before starting. One suggestion if you go air - buy the kit with the unfinished hose ends and custom route the hoses back to the firewall; cleans up the engine compartment.

What cam did u use ?

The engine is my dad. He wanted low end torque verse high end power. We settled on this cam:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k21-221-4

The cam produced too much low end torque with the stock manifold so I swaped it with a old school Holly Street Dominator single plane. The engine is easier to drive at low rpm and a rocket ship from 3500 to 5500. I don't think the engine would love very long above 5500 rpm, so it's good for what I wanted. I think.

i got the fix for you bring it to phoenix and i'll drive it in the summer its cool at 100 plus temp. i'll let you know if i sweat or not. answer would be no sweat need to keep testing.

I could come down and see all my cousins and then drive you around. That way,you could hang out the rt. window and stay cooler!

We had the GTX out today running around. It was over 90F outside and although the engine stays well below 200F,
it got to be a steam cooker inside. The headers, 3" pipes, etc. are literally cooking us as we ride along.
I reckon the winter project this year will be taking the interior out enough to get some of that adhesive-backed
insulation put down on floors and firewall. Heck, might even double layer it.
Got to do something...

When you have the heat control all the way to the left (shut off), do you still feel some warm air coming out of the vents? If so, put a water shut-off valve on your heater hose.

Auto Transport Service
Back