• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THIS IS THE HONDA CB 500 FOUR YOU SOLD ME

Frequently raced a friend with a KZ900 that had a header. My H2 750 would outrun him in the 1/4.
Right at the end of the 1/4, he would blow by me like I had hit the brakes, and it would keep climbing.
I had 400 Kawasaki triple 2 stroke those were very quick in the day. And you could wind them to the moon.
Very lightweight, sharp peak on the power band, nearly impossible to keep the front wheel down, and that unique 2 stroke triple sound...like a hive of giant pissed off hornets...
The KZ 900...it was really a game changer.
My "tuned" Harley-Davidson V-Rod is perfect for me at 57. Front wheel stays down, not bad in the twisties for what I want to do, lots of torque but a 9,200 RPM redline (bumped 200 over factory) and the sound from my Vance and Hines slip on duals and the "topless" dual velocity stack intake is sublime.
Here's a couple of videos:
Before the V&H slip ons (sounds so much better now) GO TO 7:10

This is what an 11 sec bike looks like w/a low 12 second rider...lol:

was that a CBX??? That is one helluva bike for a first one.
Yes, a 1978 CBX, before they surrendered their performance quest to the Suzuki 1100 4 cylinder and turned the CBX 6s into baggers.. 1978, when Honda's plan to dominate the high performance motorcycle market rested on the shoulders of a 102 horsepower inline 6.
It was quite the ride.

Yes, a 1978 CBX, before they surrendered their performance quest to the Suzuki 1100 4 cylinder and turned the CBX 6s into baggers.. 1978, when Honda's plan to dominate the high performance motorcycle market rested on the shoulders of a 102 horsepower inline 6.
It was quite the ride.
My dad had a new sxs 1100 Yamaha the fastest thing I ever rode.

In 75 the quickest production bike was the KZ900.
The 2nd quickest?

GL1000 Gold Wing. The originals were road burners.
The old Kwak triples were quick but couldn't turn. They had horrible swingarm bearings.

Around 1999 I had a "classic" KZ-440 LTD.

When I bought my 73 Satellite the seller had one condition for the sale-

"don't ever come back to show me what it looks like after you fix it".

Looks like the riding position would have you sitting on your taint versus on your butt.
Well, not exactly...
I tend to use the passenger foot pegs when I'm on the highway, rather than the "boots in the breeze" front pegs.
One day, I may switch to mid controls and keep plain pegs up front for a change of position. Riding it back over the course of 4 days from Las Vegas, I found just about every possible position to ride. That H-D isn't as conducive to long road trips as most are, but I don't want a rolling armchair.

Thowe aren't really fast. V twin cruiser engine based on the XV Virago.

Now the inline 4 XS 1100 those were fast.
Dads was the inline 4 I got an extra s it was xs1100. That thing would lift the front wheel at will.

Auto Transport Service
Back