• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thomas 1968 Charger project

Nice car, and I like that color also. Something different from all the black and orange Chargers running around now. That messed up body line on the passenger side is going to be a big deal unfortunately. When that gets repainted, maybe have the scallops removed at the same time?

Nice car, and I like that color also. Something different from all the black and orange Chargers running around now. That messed up body line on the passenger side is going to be a big deal unfortunately. When that gets repainted, maybe have the scallops removed at the same time?
Yes, the problem with metallic paint is that you cant just paint a door or a hood without having issues with an exact match with the rest of the bodypanels. This means that I will probably have to repaint the hood/cowlpanel and both sides of the entire body.
Expensive of course and I will also have to redo the entire right side door to fix the centerline issue. :-(

Got my newly restored 8 3/4 rear end in place today together with all new bushings from Energy Suspension and new gas shocks.
Cleaned and refurbished brakelines and handbrake cables.
Cleaned and painted everything cast iron gray and satin black.
Here are some before and after pics.

9AD9EA2F-A980-450E-BEE4-2D9FAA007302.jpeg FB9E3199-AEF1-4380-92A4-FDBFED2D1EF8.jpeg 0ABA8A41-4C51-442F-902D-C8146B64725C.jpeg 4E722026-7A44-42BC-B979-3AA5E0B10B0F.jpeg 6193E70A-69EE-40AF-9B88-B132D27128F4.jpeg

Last edited:
Brake lines going in the engine bay.
Will probably have to replace a few of them when the new powerbrake conversion kit arrives.

5949863F-0FAC-4050-9B4A-226E85ACF417.jpeg

Installed rear quarter window mechanisms on both sides, refurbished with all new plastic rollers.
Still waiting for some tinted glas.
Also got some sound deadener attached to the Inside of the rear quarter panel

9031DA70-CEC5-4ABE-ACC9-C48619A56EA3.jpeg

Stainless mouldings at the rear wheel openings in place after some straightening and polishing.

DC0BF477-73E8-41F6-93A6-FAD71FA8146B.jpeg

Progress and disaster in the Charger project this weekend
When I picked up this project many parts was carefully wraped for storage/transport and since I did not want any damaged parts I left everything as it was.
Thought Id start fitting the doors today and almost had an heartattack when I discovererd that the former owner had the extremely bad taste to ad scalops to both doors and the hood
Scalops might look good on a custom car but on this bulid its a big NO NO!!
Had I discovered this earlier I would have cut the price by a big chunk.
Have to figure out a way to get rid of these terrible things one way of another.
But went ahead with fitting both doors anyway and they fit quite good.
Not perfect but defenetly OE spec.
EXCEPT for the body centerline on the passenger side.
When all the other lines on the door fits perfectly there is a difference on the centerline by 1/2 inch
Have to get a hold of the shop that made the prep work on this car and obviusly show them the basics of body panel alignment
Not sure how to handle this yet
What THE hell! 1/2" off!?

Testfitting all new splashguards before fitting front fenders permanently

D041073C-1330-47BA-B962-79642066524D.jpeg A3D0E05C-F53A-4D5E-BBE4-D5ADA2A7737F.jpeg

Front end starting to take its final shape
Cant wait until its time to start fitting the engine/gearbox

3BC23102-207F-400C-8087-B6170B6B0E2A.jpeg CA7C7C90-0F9B-4E28-B561-7878FBB5AFF4.jpeg C0BDE0A0-567E-45D2-96C5-D1D58A4A3948.jpeg

633B5ED1-E263-42C3-B1C0-6065F8FA34D7.png
Front end completed.
Chrome on the original bumper isent perfect but definetly ok.
Great shape on position lights/turnsignals and bumperguards.

Progress and disaster in the Charger project this weekend
When I picked up this project many parts was carefully wraped for storage/transport and since I did not want any damaged parts I left everything as it was.
Thought Id start fitting the doors today and almost had an heartattack when I discovererd that the former owner had the extremely bad taste to ad scalops to both doors and the hood
Scalops might look good on a custom car but on this bulid its a big NO NO!!
Had I discovered this earlier I would have cut the price by a big chunk.
Have to figure out a way to get rid of these terrible things one way of another.
But went ahead with fitting both doors anyway and they fit quite good.
Not perfect but defenetly OE spec.
EXCEPT for the body centerline on the passenger side.
When all the other lines on the door fits perfectly there is a difference on the centerline by 1/2 inch
Have to get a hold of the shop that made the prep work on this car and obviusly show them the basics of body panel alignment
Not sure how to handle this yet

View attachment 691576 View attachment 691577 View attachment 691591 View attachment 691592 View attachment 691593

Wonder what was replaced, quarter panel or door skin? You'll get it right. Coming along nicely :thumbsup:

Wonder what was replaced, quarter panel or door skin? You'll get it right. Coming along nicely :thumbsup:
Thanks!
I think both the quarter panel and the doorskin was replaced.
I think this is going to end with me buying a new door of top Quality and repaint the entire side.

Thanks!
I think both the quarter panel and the doorskin was replaced.
I think this is going to end with me buying a new door of top Quality and repaint the entire side.

Well you do have the other side to compare which piece is wrong. Hopefully one or the other is correct. Guy must have been cross eyed. Good luck.

Well you do have the other side to compare which piece is wrong. Hopefully one or the other is correct. Guy must have been cross eyed. Good luck.
Well, yes fitment on the left side is better than on the right side so will probably change the door on the right side to the best possible repo door I can get my hands on. I could correct the faulty centerline on the door but the gaps to the rear quarter and front fender aren't perfect either. I will leave this alone for now and move on with the rest of the car.

All the stainless in place on the right side Including the vent window.
Also fitted new weatherstripping around both doors and new Hood bumper kit.
Al rubber parts from R/T Specialties and everything fits great!

F59A54B7-C8AE-4B71-B59C-5840C2FEFD4D.jpeg 8C5DE554-371E-4944-80A5-B08E2D3B9620.jpeg A36BF61F-ADFF-45FF-9977-1176727A5C83.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back