• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

through the fire wall came the cool air!, ore dd I go to

Engine backfires severely and flames shoot out the heater box and air vent consuming the occupants in flames. Ok, not likely but you've just tapped into the interior fresh air intake !!
I’m usually only in the car when it’s running, which means it’s pulling fresh air into the cowl vents. I’ve not had the engine back fire once, since it was dialed in. And I’ll only open the fresh air vent in the car if the ex wife wants to go for a ride. Just kidding!

so I did not want to cut up the hood, to put on a glass scoop. Cutting the body would just ruin the clean lines I have. So I went through the upper cavity at the base of the windshield, to draw in cool air with 3 inch holes, up to 4 inch runners to a twin inlet air cleaner with internal k and n filter. Inlet air temps are showing 50+ degrees cooler, and with decals and finish, it looks real clean. I’ve not seen another done this way at any shows or gathering. Don’t know if I messed it up. Home made diy projects are what I like to do. What do you all think. I always appreciate your opinions.

View attachment 814993 View attachment 814994 View attachment 814995 View attachment 814996 View attachment 814997
I like this for the innovative thinking....and trying to be different.

As mentioned above, it has been done in NASCAR....but those guys don't have the windows closed, so they have plenty of ventilation.

My biggest concern is that if you have fuel boiling or evaporation problem in your carburetor....those fumes are headed straight to your heater box....which goes directly inside the car.

I like this for the innovative thinking....and trying to be different.

As mentioned above, it has been done in NASCAR....but those guys don't have the windows closed, so they have plenty of ventilation.

My biggest concern is that if you have fuel boiling or evaporation problem in your carburetor....those fumes are headed straight to your heater box....which goes directly inside the car.
That’s why i installed one way spring loaded vent gates in the 4” inlets, when the engine is off it shuts off the tubes to the firewall. And I made the tubes inside the firewall turn so that they are right under the grill plates to the outside air.

The Ford Lightning used the ac to cool the air intake charge, but it was only good for about 10 seconds if I remember correctly.

My cowl venting to the passenger compartment will be closed off as the new a/c systems require it. They run on permanent recirculation or whats known as max a/c on the settings of newer vehicles. For me it was do this or put a hole in my hood for the air cleaner unit. I like using the cooler outside air.

My cowl venting to the passenger compartment will be closed off as the new a/c systems require it. They run on permanent recirculation or whats known as max a/c on the settings of newer vehicles. For me it was do this or put a hole in my hood for the air cleaner unit. I like using the cooler outside air.
I wonder if my new vintage air system has cabin recirculation, and not draw air from the upper cowl area. Anyone know this ! If that’s the case, all venting would come from the outside. And eliminate vapors from entering the car. Learning something new all the time?

With VA, all the fresh air intakes need to be blocked off.

IMG_2107.png

NASCAR did this with the hemi

It was mentioned in another thread about this, that nascar was single four barrel.

Also they went directly through the center of the firewall into the cowl plenum.

The setup pictured above I've seen mentioned as a possible nascar prototype but no other info.

It was mentioned in another thread about this, that nascar was single four barrel.

Also they went directly through the center of the firewall into the cowl plenum.

The setup pictured above I've seen mentioned as a possible nascar prototype but no other info.
Not sure. I found this picture a couple of years ago when looking for a chrome dome for mine.

The one pictured is someone's home made homage to nascar. Lots of ridiculous stories about it.

Auto Transport Service
Back