• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tick Tock, the countdown to Friday has begun.

One thing that I noticed over the years is that time seems to pass quickly on cloudy days as compared to sunny ones. It is as if watching the sun and shadows made me more aware of the time.

I'm finding that time goes by just as fast when retired as when I worked, but I have zero pressure to get stuff done by the end of the workday now.

I'm finding that time goes by just as fast when retired as when I worked, but I have zero pressure to get stuff done by the end of the workday now.
That's why I did it so many years ago!!! LOL.

That's why I did it so many years ago!!! LOL.

I've always thought retiring in one's mid-fifties would be a good time to go. That is, if you can afford it. At that age the average man is still young and healthy enough to do and see things. For me, I couldn't afford to stop working until this year.

Business owners like Mark are in a different position than guys like me.
I never had the desire to be a Foreman or a business owner. I wanted to go to work, do the job, then leave it behind until the next day. This is far less stressful. I could have made a lot more money if I had stepped up but with my low tolerance for things, it could have led to a heart attack at 50 or before.
Having a pension makes matters easier. I'll get it until I'm "done".
I was a "Union Carpenter" but not what some may call a "Union Man".
It treated me well and I am grateful for that but I was able to avoid some of the drawbacks that some Unions have.
I never had to work a picket line.
I was never on Strike.
I voted my conscience, not what candidate or issue that they "advised" members to do.
I was a hard worker that gave my employers a great value for their money.
I have seen some people work until there isn't much left to them. They retire with plenty of money but had missed out on enjoying themselves throughout their life.
My old Foreman retired last month at 63 or 64 years old. He gets around but is not in great health. He had 44 or 45 years in the trade, most of it as a Foreman that actually wore a toolbelt and worked alongside the men UNLIKE so many other bosses. He lived with after hours and weekend phone calls, being on the job early, sometimes staying late to unload lumber loads or to meet with building inspectors. Those that have worked like him know what a toll that takes.
I've never been patient enough to take a position like that. I am a man that was a Carpenter, not a Carpenter that is a man.
The job was what I did to earn money.

Domestic travel is a good way to piss away disposable income in retirement. The right car, the right part of the Country, the right time of year. Love touring with a loose thumbnail for destination.

I’ll skip Mexico and Canada. Don’t want to offload the 38, Radar, and other necessary stuff. I’ll stay in the lower 48. Lots more to see, it’s all good. Wear out the cool cars, and liquidate the kids inheritance. Let them make it on their own. Or not.

4D802829-12F6-4624-8B7D-2FE83F3F4FFC.jpeg

Last edited:
Mary wants to visit Scotland and Ireland. I do too.
Years after the Iraq war died down, her father wanted to take the family back to visit his homeland. He doesn't talk that much about it anymore though.

I was white collar in corporate America for 35 yrs. The toll is obviously not physical but the mental toll is enormous - depending what you do. I was planning my way out by the time I was in my early 30's. By that I mean saving and investing to ensure I could call the shots when the time came. My
last 10 years I gutted it out in the nasty vortex corporate politics and shivs to the back incredibly unrealistic demands, good people cut like so much red meat and left to bleed out right in front of everyone. The one and only reason I was a survivor was I was in sales and got results. The year you didn't you likely ended up with a double tap to the forehead and buried somewhere. I had a massive heart attack at 55 - incredibly lucky to survive. Was on medical with complications for a year, went back for a year and knew right away it was over. If I stayed I was going to end up in a casket. So that was it - I walked amd because of prior financial planning was in pretty good shape. My plan was to go back to college and grab a 2 year certificate program for teaching English as a second language. Which I did - and then since I didn't really need the money I volunteered for two years. Unfortunately I found there was the classroom teaching part I really liked but also the prep part that I really disliked - so after two years I bailed on that. Signed a consulting contract with a Insurance brokerage that I knew well from my corporate position - did that for a year than said that's it - I'm all out. I'm not as handy or mechanical as so many of you guys on here - wish I was but most jobs I undertake should be short but end up long and not so well ....Lol

But very happy to be out of that world especially with the way everything has gone woke - I would never have survived all this bs. And likely I mean all ways - physical, mental and even job wise.

So big congrats Kern! - Retirement is not a gift it's something all of us have worked our asses off for decades to achieve. Take it as it comes - it is an adjustment but done right an enjoyable one. The rest of your life you're a free bird to do as you like - big world out there to see. World Travel is another aspect you will have time to enjoy if you like that sort of thing. Every day has always been a gift - now all these upcoming days are gifts with which you can do anything you like. Glad you joined the club!

Domestic travel is a good way to piss away disposable income in retirement. The right car, the right part of the Country, the right time of year. Love touring with a loose thumbnail for destination.

I’ll skip Mexico and Canada. Don’t want to offload the 38, Radar, and other necessary stuff. I’ll stay in the lower 48. Lots more to see, it’s all good. Wear out the cool cars, and liquidate the kids inheritance. Let them make it on their own. Or not.

View attachment 1365432

Not to mention the friends you meet along the way.

Kern,
Take time to reflect on, and take great pride in the fact that you were part of a trade that built America, and that your skills and work ethics over all those years helped influence and teach newbies the values of hard work, pride, and care in what they do.
You accomplished more than busted knuckles and a paycheck in all those years, you’ll forever be able to drive by all those tough projects for years to come and see your hard work stands.
Congratulations & enjoy your well deserved retirement

Greg, Mark, and Kevin - Thanks all of you for well articulated summations of the different roads that can be traveled to the finish line. Defined benefit pension - good bet if you can do it. Served my dad well, he had a great 32 year retirement, but I refused to work at his income level, so not for me. Mark's deal - you can do well financially, but you live it 24/7, can crash and burn at any time, and early retirement is seldom an option. Kevin's labor in the corporate vineyard primes anyone with a soul for a heart attack. He is lucky to be here.

I ended up doing two decades of corporate white collar, two decades working for myself (self-employed truck driver). I liked truck driving better, but the corporate gig, plus my spouse selling her soul to Penn State (with retiree health coverage) enabled a comfortable retirement. Critics in my corporate days used to sneer that I'd be dead of a heart attack by 50, I got the last laugh. I never was a workaholic, I just knew what had to be done to get me where I wanted to be.

There are different roads that work for different people. The winners figure out the best for their personal wiring. My son in law has a defined benefit pension deal with the state of PA, which he talks about bailing from when he gets 20 years in. I will show him this thread over the holidays to nudge him toward doing 30.

Last edited:
Nice… Sunday mid day and not a worry about what to get done at work tomorrow. Good for you ! Enjoy!!!

Congratulations KD, retirement is the best job I’ve ever had. Enjoy!!

When my main employer only had out of town work, I obliged but hated the commute. I liked the company, the guys and the type of work but the drive to and from was a pisser. For the guys that car pooled and drank, they didn't mind because they'd share driving duties and get drunk on the way home. For the guys that had no hobbies and just worked to support their families, it was just what they had to do.
Guys like me that have hobbies, it was terrible. I wanted to be home to work on the cars. Getting home at 6:00 with a 9:00 bedtime leaves far too little time and energy to eat, shower, fix tools or any fun stuff with the wife.
Sometimes on Sunday afternoons, a mild sense of dread would creep in.....thinking of the same cycle starting again in the morning. I never liked getting up early for anything. I know that I am in the fringe minority there. Most everyone that I know just pops up awake before the sun comes up but I have always needed an alarm to break my slumber.

29 years. Public Servant. Best job on the Planet IMO for me. Never dreaded going. Easy commute.
4-10’s. Other than work ethic and living within means, I don’t know why or how it happened, but it would probably not happen again. Reward is Pension, and disposable $$$.

Mary wants to visit Scotland and Ireland. I do too.
Years after the Iraq war died down, her father wanted to take the family back to visit his homeland. He doesn't talk that much about it anymore though.
So Mary wants to go to Iraq? There's not much left to see from what I saw on Trip Advisor.

I, like a few others in this thread, will probably never get to retire. My fault completely, but don't regret it a bit. I was out doing whatever I wanted when I wanted to and actually had a decent amount for retirment and then 08 hitand all that went out the window. If I do get to retire, it will be in ten years.
For you, Congrats! I envy you but also respect you as you stuck to the plan and did your time, so now it's time to reap the rewards. I hope you enjoy it.

Auto Transport Service
Back