• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tie rod end separator... not “pickle fork”

I want the proper tool because I’ve had to drop the center link on many occasions to get the oil pan off. I always used a pickle fork and it invariably cut the rubber seals.This is from the 1968 FSM. A long obsolete Utica tool. I was just asking where to get a similar. I found a set at Eastwood. Hope they work! :D View attachment 1298222
I have one in my tool box. Bought it years ago from a Mac or Matco dealer. Works well when you don't have room for a hammer.

I took my front brake backing plates off for easier access to the wheel cylinder bolts. I noticed the rubber seal broken on the lower ball joint and am going to replace those and the outer tie rod ends as well. I think with it being loose, I might have an issue getting the tie rod off with the pickle fork. I need the one that is like a gear puller that the FSM shows. Does anyone have a recommendation on what tool they use? Thanks!View attachment 1297826
I use a pickle fork on my air chisel ....there are tools that work the opposite of a gear puller that pushes from the top to push the taper out of the knuckle. They work quite well.

Auto Transport Service
Back