• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing cover help

67MPRFAN

Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
Got cam and timing installed went to put the cover on and it's not deep enough. I tried a aftermarket chrome mp 1 from jegs and stock 1 which would probably fit it I stack 2 gasket but that's last resort. Has anyone ran into this and what was the fix

Thanks in advance

0911201926_HDR.jpg 0911201919b.jpg 0911201924a.jpg

What brand is the timing set?

Is the crank gear tight against the crank shoulder?

Is that a cam button I see might have to machine that if it's hitting.You do not want that thing buried up against the back of the cover, button should have come with clearance spec' good lucks

Sometimes the cam bolts themselves, as well as the button, must be shaved down for cover clearance. I use a SFT camshaft (no thrust button) and the three bolts needed the heads thinned a bit to not touch the cover.

Is that a cam button I see might have to machine that if it's hitting.You do not want that thing buried up against the back of the cover, button should have come with clearance spec' good lucks

Good point. I presumed that it was a flat tappet cam.

Take the timing button out and see if cover fits. If not, remove cam bolts, leaving cam gear in place and try again. If it fits, remove cover and put some plumbers putty on gear and install cover w gasket. Remove cover and measure putty thickness for clearance. Obviously bolts will need less clearance and button will have a specific dimension to prevent cam walk on roller cam.

Take the timing button out and see if cover fits. If not, remove cam bolts, leaving cam gear in place and try again. If it fits, remove cover and put some plumbers putty on gear and install cover w gasket. Remove cover and measure putty thickness for clearance. Obviously bolts will need less clearance and button will have a specific dimension to prevent cam walk on roller cam.

Cam button seems to be the issue

0911202145.jpg

Hard to tell in that picture but I put the stock cover on and whacked it with a hammer and it left a imprint

Hard to tell in that picture but I put the stock cover on and whacked it with a hammer and it left a imprint
I used a heavier steel timing cover from 440 source and a nylon cam button that i filed down for proper clearance. Reason for heavier cover is much online about stock cover flexing due to cam walk and allowing cam to move further than it should.

I used a heavier steel timing cover from 440 source and a nylon cam button that i filed down for proper clearance. Reason for heavier cover is much online about stock cover flexing due to cam walk and allowing cam to move further than it should.

I've used that setup on my last engine and didn't have a issue with it but I did use a aftermarket chrome cover don't remember what brand or where I got it from

I'm thinking I can take some rings out of the button and get the clearance I need to install the cover but have to wait until Monday to call mancini back to see what they recommend

0912201839_HDR.jpg 0912201839.jpg

20191009_165002.jpg
I'm thinking I can take some rings out of the button and get the clearance I need to install the cover but have to wait until Monday to call mancini back to see what they recommend

View attachment 1001203 View attachment 1001204
Does the cam button sink all the way in the hole or is it held out by that large black ring. I just used washers under the 3 cam bolts. If your cam button is held out, removing the ring n going to washers would give you room then you would need to shim the button out for proper clearance.

Do u have the oil pump shaft in as well as the rear cam plug? Is the cam back far enough? Have u thought about an aftermarket alum 2 piece cover? Kim

View attachment 1001221
Does the cam button sink all the way in the hole or is it held out by that large black ring. I just used washers under the 3 cam bolts. If your cam button is held out, removing the ring n going to washers would give you room then you would need to shim the button out for proper clearance.

Took the snap ring off removed the shims and still hitting this time it's the bolts. When I get a torx head socket I'll try removing the bolts and see what that does.

Do u have the oil pump shaft in as well as the rear cam plug? Is the cam back far enough? Have u thought about an aftermarket alum 2 piece cover? Kim
No pump shaft in yet. .. Wasn't aware of a 2 piece cover , not sure what's going on because I used this setup before with no issues

Is this a really big washer of some sort? If so, once you get socket, remove it and get thin washers under bolt heads. The cam button should also seat down inside the center of cam gear then.
20200912_173856.jpg

I did remove that thick washer and button and the bolts are what's hitting now that's why I mentioned above about torx head socket

Most factory covers need to be modified to clear the button.
The earlier covers with the extra raised area, that’s raised above the triangle area, are deeper. They might clear the button without mods(haven’t tried it).

I used a 440 source cover that a customer supplied for a build, and that cover was deep enough to clear the button without needing to be modified.

The modified stock one ends up like this:

9BE8E112-0585-47D0-93B5-C9087C4A4987.jpeg D0A7F42D-8AF0-46C7-B25F-4806E7F5C220.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back