• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing help

Moose440

Local time
4:48 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys needs some help with timing. I have a 440 stealth heads icon pistons .040 over
Block was decked its 10.5-1 compression
.564 intake/.564 exhaust cam with 1.6 roller rockers. And dual 4 barrel. I need some help with timing as of right now I’m 21 degree intial and 38ish all in and I really think it wants more. I read my build sheet but it dosent say where my cam was put in. I do remember he said he was going to retard it a little but not sure. Any help would help.

Assuming this is for a race application.When it comes to timing you have several variables.
Elevation is one.Timing set at sea level may not be the best at 5,000 ft.
Another is every engine is different,some like more, some run better with less. The rule of thumb is the 36 to 38* range that you can use as a base.
Don Gartlis once said he would(this is old school) After a base set,add about 4* at a time to see how it runs.If it fell off he would back up 2* to find the sweet spot. Now a days people dial in with computers and dyno runs to set up a engine.

More initial [ veeeeeeeeeeeery likely ]? Or more at WOT?

Auto Transport Service
Back