• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing issues

Yesterday I was tuning on my carburetor and figured I would see where my timing was since I hadn't messed with it since I bought the car. I was pretty surprised to see it sitting at 35-36° at idle. Figured the damper had slipped alot and rolled the engine over both ways and sure enough it pretty much on plus or minus a degree or two. I hooked a vacuum gauge up and its pulling 16-17, it bounces between the two. Just to do some testing I dropped the timing down to 12° initial and took it out. Down on power, repeatedly backfired and barely idled. Checked for vacuum leaks and didn't find any, it did have a msd6 box with a converted distributor that I replaced with a msd 8387 that I dropped right in and ran the same as the other ignition. It's a lopo 77' 440 so I doubt it's got anything more than a factory RV cam in it.

Any ideas? I searched but didn't find anything on here.

How exactly did you determine that it was at 35 - 36°

77 damper has notches every 90*. I measured the flat surface of it and did the math. Used a piece of 20g wire cut to length and marked it.

77 damper has notches every 90*. I measured the flat surface of it and did the math. Used a piece of 20g wire cut to length and marked it.
Just getting down into the weeds. What is the length you used for 36°? And are you sure you have the "zero" mark on the tab?

A picture would be helpful.

I think its worth the effort to make sure this was all done right before we start pulling the entire engine inside-out.

I’ll pull the fan off in the morning and take pictures.

The length is 2.25" Can you measure your wire?

2.34 by my calipers. So it is off but not by that far.

Wrong, 2.33 sorry fat fingered it.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back