• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing Light Selection

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:07 PM
Reaction score
My ancient Penske timing light finally dumped. While I think I could fix it had been thinking about upgrading to one having more features anyway. Researching these is mind numbing with many having a collection of poor reviews from units ranging from 60 to over 200 bucks. I'm not looking to drop a big wad on one as I'm not going to use it all that often as a guy with one old ride to work on and maybe loaning it out to a couple of buddies as I did with my old one. Thought I'd toss this out to get some tips on recommended units? Thanks!

Are you using an msd ignition ? Or, are you going to? Some lights simply won't work with an msd box. Multiple sparks confuse them.

Thats why msd sells their own timing lights.

Are you using an msd ignition ? Or, are you going to? Some lights simply won't work with an msd box. Multiple sparks confuse them.

Thats why msd sells their own timing lights.
I installed the mopar electronic system in mine some 15 + years ago. Thanks!

Same one I bought after my Sears light stoped working.
Just got it yesterday so hope to open it up today or tomorrow and play with it...ahh and get rid of the stumble I get around 3k rpm. Installing lighter springs on the dist might not have been such a good idea.

Auto Transport Service
Back