• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire Selection and Rim Offset????

grubby65

Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
I took my 1964 Dodge Polara to Goodyear to have the wheels/tires dynamically balance due to a vibration. The existing tires are a little unusual as they appear to be some type of re-cap, bias ply, cheater slick. Anyway the guys at the shop suggested that I use them for shows, but they really should be replaced if I was going to drive it much. The existing tires are 29" diameter with a 11.50" section width on 10" Cragar SS rims. The car is a 383, 4 barrel car, automatic, with a 2500 rpm stall and 4.10 gears.
006.jpg
008.jpg
If at all possible I would like to go a little taller to try and combat the gear ratio. The tire I was looking at is the Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R in size 30x12.00R-15 LT (I don't know why they put the LT on the tire). I pulled one side off and hung string lines from the inner fender wells (which are the limit on clearance due to having a later model B body rear end) and the face of the brake drum. The distance between the inner and outer fender wells is 15". The distance between the brake drum face and the inner fender well is 7" and the distance from the brake drum face and the outer fender well is 8". I have some questions:
1) What would you suggest for back spacing?
2) When designing the rim should you try to center the tire in the fender well or push it more to the outside.
3) The tire I'm looking at, when mounted on a 10" rim has a section width of 12.6 "
4) Does anyone have any other suggestions on tires? The Mickey's are pretty expensive. I had originally looked at BFG's but they don't really have anything with at least a 29" diameter.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 10.5 with a 6.7 Backspacing but mine is mini tubbed. Its a 17 inch wheel with a 325 drag radial on it.

M&H I have plenty of room left over too. I could have fit the 390

Mickey Thompson P295/65R15 section width 11.9 diameter 30 i have these on 8in 4 1/2 backspace steel wheels
Coker has BFG Silverstone 285/70/R15 section width 11.5 diameter 30.75 they were $225.00

Last edited:
Micky Thompson SR are a good street tire and they look great !! Remember these cars are typically not daily drivers so they last a long time !! N*50*15 MT

image.jpgimage.jpg

I have simar question. I found good 8" wide rims with 4" backspace to mount Mickey Thompson bias L60 14's ( old school look) but wondering if backspace is enough for 68 GTX?

So I am all new to the Mopar scene. I have a 64 Plymouth Savoy race hemi clone and am looking to get some tires and wheels for the rear. I think my rims are 7 or 7.5 so I need to get a couple of wheels and buy some drag radials. This car needs some rear grip!. Any help is appreciated!

Auto Transport Service
Back