• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tire width

steve maluk

Local time
8:33 AM
Reaction score
hello gang.
Going through 73 challenger - car came with 14-inch wheels i have stepped up to 7,s up front 8 in rear i also went with extra leaf spring in the rear . With all stock set up excluding the 15's x8 in the rear what is a good-looking fat tire i can shove under car without mods.
thanks all / it's time to buy tires.
sjm

the tried-and-true 235/60-15 front, 275/60-15 rear ( just be sure of your backspace )

I echo Wiley - I did all the same back when and the widest I could get under was L60’s on the back.

You need to state the backspacing of the wheels before an answer can be given that you can depend on.

I don't like the jacked up look (anymore). I think it looks more stock. They are on my Charger now but fit my Challenger just fine also before I mini-tubbed it.

20170903_161436.jpg

70RTSE11 [640x480-2].jpg

1174855-DSC03677_A.jpg

BTW - I should have also said - if you’re also going for looks. Goodyear Polyglass RWL - Personally the best looking tire for our old iron. Been on my 68 X since 71. They're polyglass so not for the best performance - but for looks can’t be beat. I buy them from this outfit in OH - they sell all the old school tires. Arrggg I can’t quite remember their name. But I’ll try to find it - if someone said I’d recognize it in a split second. About $350 a pop IIRC
IMG_0459.png

73? Should have enough "hip room" to easily take 275/60/15. Classic FAT TIRE. Suitable for righteous burnouts.

New age wonderkids will point at 295/50/15. Do not be fooled! While also suitable for righteous burnouts, and will fit the "wide" tire footprint, the sidewall is a little skimpy.

In my own opinion, which is only as valid as anyone else's. Both will fit, but the 295 will require not being able to go up to high into the fenderwell so depending on stace of car you might have to be more careful. I see a lot more 15x9 and 15x10 doing the 295's, to keep the sidewall more square to help with that. Reminds me of the raked up 70's look like that, but not my cup of tea.

BTW - I should have also said - if you’re also going for looks. Goodyear Polyglass RWL - Personally the best looking tire for our old iron. Been on my 68 X since 71. They're polyglass so not for the best performance - but for looks can’t be beat. I buy them from this outfit in OH - they sell all the old school tires. Arrggg I can’t quite remember their name. But I’ll try to find it - if someone said I’d recognize it in a split second. About $350 a pop IIRCView attachment 1593237
The company you are seeking is Coker Tires, I think.

the tried-and-true 235/60-15 front, 275/60-15 rear ( just be sure of your backspace )
if you do a 235/70/15 up front, tire diameter will be about equal. It also matches up the "fatness" of the sidewall a little closer. but this depends on the car and look you are going for. This is how I set up my 78 police car, for instance.

The company you are seeking is Coker Tires, I think.
No it’s not Coker - But me thinks I remember now - Its Universal Tire. You can buy online and choose from their online catalogue. They have really old school stuff like for Packards and such……

Wow I see they’ve gone up a bit since my last purchase. The fronts would be about $50 less.

1705624907387.png

Auto Transport Service
Back