• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To 512 or not

I own a 33,000 mile numbers matching Medium Green A12 RR coupe. I purchased and restored it in 1999-2000, and in the 23 years since then, I have driven it approximately 5,000 miles. It had 28,000 when I bought it 1999. Other than the Mr. Sixpack cam, it is a completely stock A12. Largely due to months of sitting in the garage and infrequent driving, I recently developed an issue with the cam lobes and lifters. Since I will already be into the engine, I am considering pulling it and building a 512 Stroker; and wanted opinions from the Mopar community about whether: 1) this would be "committing Chrysler Sacrilege", or 2) adversely affect the value, or 3) just increase "the smiles per mile". I appreciate ya'll's feedback, direction, and opinions.
Not the OEM numbers Bock. Just my opinion. I'd buy another period correct & 512 it. Out of the 4 A12's Ive owned? The 2 with the NUMBERS correct block & trans have always been worth more. +/- $40K More.

Get as crazy as you want with a different block and heads.
You could redo yours with an upgraded cam and some ported 440 source heads painted to look stock also.
Your car and your money so do as you wish but I would protect the original block and heads if it were mine.

Do what you want. Are you building the car for you or the next guy?
That is REALLY the question isn't it? Even when you consider things like remodeling your home...are you doing it for you or the next guy? Both situations need careful consideration. I like car mods I can back out of...just sayin!

I look at as preserving the originality of the car by preserving the block from a big oops. I'm guilty of saving for the next guy. Over the years I've bought NOS parts with idea to restore my car. Realized I'm not going to so, the next guy won't do as much parts hunting.

Last edited:
Fix the factory 440. You don’t race, you don’t drive it that much. Unless you got 10k burning a whole in your pocket forget the stroker kit.

Well for all you naysayers, you may want to keep in mind that a stroker kit does NOT ruin a numbers matching block. Stroker kits are available in a broad range of bores and strokes. The OP could go anywhere from 500" to 528" with the original block and the only mod would be a common .030 overbore! Everything else is just hardware. Build the stroker and tuck away the original crank and rods and anything else you chose to swap - heads, intake, exhaust manifolds, etc.. When the time comes to sell, stick all that stuff in the trunk.

I don't think most of us were talking bout stroking it ruining it... but if you are stroking a motor you are gonna beat on it and accidents happen :) I hadn't even thought bout the stroker kit ruining value...

It would be fun, but for me it’s about a few factors, originality, and cost, and fun. Seems like you only drive the car 220 miles per year. Based on that alone I wouldn’t do it myself. Not worth the expense for the 3 times a year I took it out. If you put on 1000 or miles a year it would be more ‘worth it’.

If you do it, make sure to use a different block to start with. I would definately keep the original A-12 motor together and un molested. A lot of A-12 cars got abused pretty good, I imagine that numbers matching ones are further and fewer between these days…

Good luck with whatever you decide

I certainly get the idea of building another block...but, I would keep the original engine in the car...too many times a numbers matching block gets taken out and gets lost or goes to hell over in the corner. I think having a numbers matching engine IN the car is way cooler.
It really doesn't sound like the 440 is maximized as it is. There are many ways to make more power! Imho..I don't really think stroking it will really change the value of the car up or down...its a internal change, it's probably just money out the door.
Keep in mind a cubic inch increase really needs upgrades to help it breath. If you dont plan to do those things and run 4.10s.. I would keep it stock stroke. I can't say that I have ever regretted doing a stroker...but I will probably never own a car of this caliber either, so I don't anticipate every having this dilemma!

Last edited:
I own a 33,000 mile numbers matching Medium Green A12 RR coupe. I purchased and restored it in 1999-2000, and in the 23 years since then, I have driven it approximately 5,000 miles. It had 28,000 when I bought it 1999. Other than the Mr. Sixpack cam, it is a completely stock A12. Largely due to months of sitting in the garage and infrequent driving, I recently developed an issue with the cam lobes and lifters. Since I will already be into the engine, I am considering pulling it and building a 512 Stroker; and wanted opinions from the Mopar community about whether: 1) this would be "committing Chrysler Sacrilege", or 2) adversely affect the value, or 3) just increase "the smiles per mile". I appreciate ya'll's feedback, direction, and opinions

Hate to be the guy who soils the hobby with talk of money but these are not 20,000 dollar cars anymore. We are talking about compromising a 6 figure investment. if you build a numbers matching block out to a 512 and damage it, think about what a pain in the *** it could be. Think about how much fun it would be posting up here looking in search of some crusty old guy who can stitch your block back together. No thanks.

Y'know, its not always about the $$ !! Sure, missing the numbers-matching block would be an issue ... IF it got damaged. That's a pretty big IF !! Furthermore, regardless of the matching block those cars STILL bring a big dollar. Lastly, consider the OP's initial cost versus resale. A profit is a profit. AND, was the purpose of buying this car to make the maximum profit? If so, sell it now as is and have fun with something else! Personally I see no significant downside to stroking the original block. Let's face it, if you're going to preserve the original then you're talking about about building a complete new motor. You're looking at 10 to $15K. Stroke the original - all in for around $5K.

Y'know, it’s not always about the $$ !! Sure, missing the numbers-matching block would be an issue ... IF it got damaged. That's a pretty big IF !! Furthermore, regardless of the matching block those cars STILL bring a big dollar. Lastly, consider the OP's initial cost versus resale. A profit is a profit. AND, was the purpose of buying this car to make the maximum profit? If so, sell it now as is and have fun with something else! Personally I see no significant downside to stroking the original block. Let's face it, if you're going to preserve the original then you're talking about about building a complete new motor. You're looking at 10 to $15K. Stroke the original - all in for around $5K.
I have a good running 440 in my charger. I can make it a 512 stroker for 5 grand?

I’m not in this hobby for the money but if I had a matching numbers A12 car, I’d figure out how to be in this hobby for the money very quickly! Sorry but at that end of the pool, the matching numbers really means something and I’d never take that chance.

Pretty close - unless you don't know a ratchet from a screwdriver !!
For most of us, I don’t see it happening. Yes, even those of us who do our own work swapping engines, rebuilding suspension, gauge clusters, etc….not everyone has the skill and more accurately the experience to put an engine together….

Even if the OP can machine and assemble his own engine and does it for 5k…. you are pretty much not using anything from the original engine other than the block/dist/intake/carbs, accessories. Since the OP already owns all that and you can still find 400/440 blocks for a grand or 2…im not seeing the price double or triple by saving the OE numbers block.

Auto Transport Service
Back