• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To 512 or not

Dejavu1

Local time
7:55 AM
Reaction score
I own a 33,000 mile numbers matching Medium Green A12 RR coupe. I purchased and restored it in 1999-2000, and in the 23 years since then, I have driven it approximately 5,000 miles. It had 28,000 when I bought it 1999. Other than the Mr. Sixpack cam, it is a completely stock A12. Largely due to months of sitting in the garage and infrequent driving, I recently developed an issue with the cam lobes and lifters. Since I will already be into the engine, I am considering pulling it and building a 512 Stroker; and wanted opinions from the Mopar community about whether: 1) this would be "committing Chrysler Sacrilege", or 2) adversely affect the value, or 3) just increase "the smiles per mile". I appreciate ya'll's feedback, direction, and opinions.

I have wondered if the 440/495 build I did was necessary for me to have fun with the car.
Necessary? Probably not but so what? I wanted to do it.
In the case of an engine rebuild, the additional cost of a stroker assembly can be justified. You often need pistons anyway. The crank will probably need work. The rods may need to be resized. Buying a rotating assembly with pistons-rods-crank-rings and bearings is sort of like one stop shopping.
You don't need the extra cubic inches but if you can afford it, why deny yourself?

Depends if you are keeping it to enjoy or not, in the end it is your car.

I'd just replace the cam/lifters on such a low mile example of that. If you are concerned with value for a sale, then I think that stroking it will alter the value, and possibly not for the better.

Just my opinion of course.

I would say go for it. You have kept it for 23 years. Doesn't sound like you have any plans to sell. So, you might as well do what would make you happy. Maybe it will renew your interest in the car, and you will add another 5000+ miles.

Last edited:
The block and heads will still be numbers matching. You can keep the original rotating assembly and if someone wanted to put it back as a 440 they could. There will probably be some clearancing done to the block but that's all.
I say go for it.

the 512 kits are pretty easy to do, just get the correct pistons for the compression ratio you want (will depend on cylinder head volumes too.)

I don't believe in the sacrilege thing... it's your car do what ya like... and i would go 512 but i make bad decisions :)

Do what you want. Are you building the car for you or the next guy?

If A12's are awesome and 512's are awesome.... then it would stand to reason that a 512 in an A12 would be even more awesome.

Go for it, to hell with any "purist" might think.

Find another core engine/block and heads, build the 512 out of that and tuck the numbers matching engine away for another day.

Life is short, do what makes you smile. My 69 R/T has a big hole cut in the hood with a bigass 871 blower pushing up out of it, yeah I maybe lost some value but I'm the happiest sumbitch around when I fire up that 440 making 900+ hp!

Gitcha a 400 block and go fer it!

100_0035.JPG

Life is short, do what makes you smile. My 69 R/T has a big hole cut in the hood with a bigass 871 blower pushing up out of it, yeah I maybe lost some value but I'm the happiest sumbitch around when I fire up that 440 making 900+ hp!
My Challenger has a big ole hole in the hood with dual carbs poking through as well. I made the Super Shaker scoop to clear it all. Just in case I get caught in the rain while out crusin.....

photo0(1).jpeg

20200426_224158.jpg

IMG_8664.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

It will kill the car’s value. Build a 512, but keep the original motor & put a stock cam in it. Keep it on an engine stand

Considering how long you've had the car, you could probably do a lot worse things and it would still sell for three times what you paid for it. Go for it.

Auto Transport Service
Back