• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Be Or Not To Be

StreetWedge65

Local time
9:27 PM
Reaction score
I was at Sonic Saturday night when a guy pulls up next to me in a 66' Plymouth with his high beams on blinding everyone. After introducing himself and some small talk, I mentioned that his headlights, sure were bright. He said he had just finished replacing the old sockets. Long story short. He swore he didn't have the lights on high because the dash indicator light wasn't on. But when he punched the dimmer switch to low the high beam indicator light came on.
I thought about that half the night. He said he did one wire at a time, so not to mix up the connections. I'm thinking something other than just sockets were touched.
Thoughts????

Last edited:
Thoughts??????
I guess I'll let y'all know what I find. He's bringing me his car as soon as I get over the flu.

miller, good to hear from you. I thought about that. But wouldn't one light be on high and the other on low? Correct me if I'm wrong, on a 7" dual element light, isn't the center pin always the low beam? Outer pins can be high or ground.

Correct me if I'm wrong, on a 7" dual element light, isn't the center pin always the low beam?
Yep, good to hear from you, too!
Without looking at the wiring diagram, can't say. Think one would be ground. That one have just two lights?
Know it's easy to get wires swapped around, re-working harnesses. I would pull the connectors at both bulbs, and the dimmer switch to check if things are right. Dimmer switch new, used, or abused? Should be a fairly easy check, if something is backwards.
(I had all my harnesses tore completely down, on my 64. Had to hold my mouth right, going back together!)

Auto Transport Service
Back