• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

to cam, or not to cam...

jeff73

Local time
3:30 PM
Reaction score
So, I was thinking about possibly putting a cam on my 5.7. This is going to be my daily driver so I don't want to get too crazy, but would like to squeeze out as much extra as I can. I'm planning on headers also, and possibly changing out the rear end. thoughts on the subject? ready...go.

Talk to lxmodguy, he can help. Send him a pm.

What's your setup, what car, rear end, trans, and engine controls are you using?

thanks. I'll do that. kb67mopar It's a 73 Plymouth Satellite. Hemi 5.7 and 545rfe from a 07 dodge ram. rear end is stock, but I'm thinking of swapping that out as well. I have the ecu's from the truck as well. not sure if that answered your questions. I'm pretty novice and trying to figure things out as I go with the help of some mechanic buddies. just trying to research as much as I can and see all options.

The majority of the reason I ask is it makes a big difference in cost. If using a stock computer you will need to get a tuner to make it run right. Also gearing and setup might dictate what type of cam you go for. Low end grunt or high end scream....

I am by no means a pro or a cam expert but most of the guru's will ask you those questions when they help you pick a new bumpstick. I plan to cam mine some day but will make sure to replace the springs at the same time. I am also running a stock ecu so I will probably pick up a tuner or maybe switch to megasquirt down the road depending on how wild I want to get.

Lxmodguy probably could steer you a bit too. I'd pick his brain.

Auto Transport Service
Back