• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Flame or Not to Flame is the Question?

794cfbf68f800bcab2bb39690e8bf2a4ba5f5431.jpg

As an artist I can say that done right flames are good. Done wrong and it's a mess.

This is too much.
811.jpg

This I like.
71de0c815096c868d38345ecd47e6eee.jpg

If a car was given to me or I bought one with flames, I would leave it, but if I painted the car, I would not add them back. For example. I bought this 69 427 4 speed Vette from a friend, and it had ghost flames on it, and I left them because to get rid of them I would have to repaint or wrap the entire car. If I ever paint this car, it will to back to Inca silver (original color) and no flames. You can really only see these flames in bright sunlight. FYI, the flames were there
when the friend I bought from bought the car.
IMG_20190324_120114164_HDR.jpg

Tom McMullen' s street rodder magazine truck. Built in the magazine over several issues. Blown 427 Chevy in the bed, rear axle moved back about a foot.
I have the bubblegum card from the Truckin' set. I bought packs as a kid in the 70s. That card was one of my favorites.

Just when I think I don't like flames I see a car like that wagon and I change my mind

I painted the flames on my 75 Shovelhead...I like them when done right. Guess it depends on the vehicle.

IMG_3765.JPG IMG_3769.JPG

Back in the day Bronx NY, My Buddy was running a Chevy Chevelle with flames accents. I Always like the paint scheme.

View attachment 565856

View attachment 565857
View attachment 565858 View attachment 565859
Not a Flame person, Best I saw made it to OK. And by that I mean the look, The the work or skill it takes to produce is always worth a close up. But then ours is painted Moulin Rouge - 9 out of ten say - what were you thinking! Was even worse in 70 . Some dealers had to repaint just to get rid of them.

I'm not much of a flame kinda guy but in my opinion certain cars up into the fifties with tastefully painted flames look cool,( lowboys, chopped 50's Merc. is a cool example) cars after that I think flame jobs just look gaudy and outa place. But I gotta admit, some of these artists today can swing a mean air brush regardless of the palette. Eyes of the beholder my friends.

Caddy or blue oval? Be nice when ya answer I'm Old!
That was an Eldorado. If I remember correctly it was a '99. There was a fuel rail recall for the '97 - '99's, and that is the reason why.

The Chevelle flames are probably the nicest... I've not seen any Mopars that I can remember where they looked right.
The Barracuda I would call a "rip" not a flame...
Now this Mopar is badass in fuego!!!!

View attachment 565930
They had some real "Nasty" (BEST BAD *** VEHICLES EVER) AA/FA's painted in Flames in the 60's, Remember standing next to them upon start up in the pits!

Auto Transport Service
Back