• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To tint, or not to tint, that is the question

1STMP

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:26 PM
Reaction score
This ol' gal does not have
A/C, but a 440 w/ headers
ahead of the firewall and
pipes outboard the frame
under the running boards.
Here in NM it's not
uncommon for hot, dry,
dusty days in the summer.
Tossing around the overall
asthecics as to how she
would look with the
windows tinted.
1165938855.jpg

You got a dark grey truck.
I'm questioning how much difference a tinted windshield would make.
If you want cooler paint it white.
That will make a big difference.
I've got identical cars.
One yellow with beige interior.
One brown with black interior.
There is a big difference.

You got a dark grey truck.
I'm questioning how much difference a tinted windshield would make.
If you want cooler paint it white.
That will make a big difference.
I do agree that white is the
way to go for cooler overall
cabin temps. But it can still
get hot as hell in the cabin
when parked outside in the
sun.
My concern is the overall
look of the truck if I do
decide to tint the windows.
Old time hotrodders didn't
know what window tint was.

There must be some difference with solar gain due to the glass being almost vertical. I also agree with Speedbird on body color.
Mike

Very nice truck.
Do what you like, tinting looks cool and should help with cabin temp. Maybe a light tint on just do doors and rear, not windshield.

I see no downside to tinting.
Windows will be down when occupied, so only question will be rear window, and to keep the sun off my neck, tint it would be.
Your truck has plenty of character already. Tinting will matter about as much as fingernail color on a 36-24-36 23 year old blond.

Thanks, Beekeeper.
I'll check around here to see
if that stuff is available
locally.

Last edited:
Very nice truck.
Do what you like, tinting looks cool and should help with cabin temp. Maybe a light tint on just do doors and rear, not windshield.
No full tint is allowed on the
windshield, but a 6" wide
strip across the top is.
Both that and the side
windows are 35% max
[blockage], and the rear
window can be limo tint
as long as the vehicle has
mirrors on both driver and
passenger side.

I like tint personally for looks. However, I've got limmo all the way around and definitely hard, almost impossible, to see out sides n back at night. I roll down windows at night to back up, even in the winter.

Just my 2 cents ... I myself never was a fan of different degrees of tint around a car, looks strange .
I like tint, keeps the interior cooler but for overall look of the car/ truck, if 35% will fly that's what I would use on the whole thing.
Or none at all.

Just my 2 cents ... I myself never was a fan of different degrees of tint around a car, looks strange .
I like tint, keeps the interior cooler but for overall look of the car/ truck, if 35% will fly that's what I would use on the whole thing.
Or none at all.
I agree especially on multi side windows, but that is not the case with the OP, and it's hard to get a visual on a side and a back window together here, but regardless the back window would have to tinted no matter what for me.

Or none at all.
A pic of the back window...
20230830_152917.jpg1927959740.jpg

That truck is looking great, you guys have really built a cool hot rod from the ground up. I like the old small window cabs.

That truck is looking great, you guys have really built a cool hot rod from the ground up. I like the old small window cabs.
Thanks for the compliment.
It being my first Mopar, from
what I've learned while being
a member here, there are a
few things I'd change. But
the project then becomes
perpetual. There are some
things yet to do before it's
what I would call "done".

I don't tint any of my cars. It completely changes the look of a vehicle, and it's the first thing a young kid does to his car.

Auto Transport Service
Back