• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toggle switch testing

bcOH67

Local time
8:11 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone- Question about my hold open switch for my 67 charger. I’ve got it cleaned up and working but the ohms read different on each of the tabs. Going to do my best to try and explain this...

If I place my meter probes on the rivets that hold the spade connectors to the switch I get .7 ohms. If I place my meter probes on both spade connectors it reads 8 ohms. But if I take the one probe on the spade connector in question and touch the (copper?) rivet at the base of the connector that holds it to the switch I get .7 ohms (taking the spade connector out of the chain). If I do it reverse, I read .7 off of the other side as I think it should be. So there is apparently a lot more resistance on the one connector/rivet joining for some reason.

Is this normal? I’ve tried everything I have to clean it but that is the best reading I can get.

sounds like there’s some corrosion under the brad. you could try some type of liquid copper
cleaner i may soak in around it and then try lightly tapping down the brad by disassembling the switch and use a roll pin punch on the back side of the brad for a backer.

Ok! Thanks Beekeeper! I’ll see if I can find a cleaner like you mentioned.

It may work fine the way it is.
That switch is normally closed and opens when you "lock the motors in the open position".
As long as the motors open and close properly then you might just want to leave as is.
If they dont you can try making a jumper for the two leads and see if they function better.
No change and you have a problem elsewhere.

If it's my switch, I would solder the rivet to the terminal.

Thanks everyone for responding! After cleaning it again and tapping it with a hammer as suggested I'm getting a reading of .6 off the connectors! Which I discovered after touching my probes together (bm02tj) is what the meter is reading off of itself anyways. I think the main issue was that I'm dumb...and that the connectors were just a little loose and creating tighter contact with the hammer is what fixed it. Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to help out!

Auto Transport Service
Back