• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toilet Toiling w/ Repair

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:36 AM
Reaction score
Our Mansfield toily will run intermittently for a few seconds then stop and repeat a few minutes later. Water seeps into the bowl. Noticed the top gasket in the tank beneath the flusher rod looked iffy and it was. Took it off and replaced it. Good to go...so I thought. Removed the tank to replace the gasket btw the bowl and tank. This one looked fine, but installed a new one and tank needed a good cleaning anyway. Back together and SAME **** (pun here).

Float looks good, cleaned it and readjusted. Water inlet tower to the float looks good. See no bubbling. No leaks around the toilet. WTH? Have repaired more toilets than I care to remember. Only thing I'm pondering now is replace the entire works.
Anyone have tips on what the eff it could be? Thanks

I don't care for these modern vertical floats. The old ball-and-rod float worked better.

I bought this to save my 1970's era baby blue Kohler:
CESCO BRASS toilet fill valves Parts and Accessories On-Line Store

These are some true, real old school, made in USA style hardware.
Not sure how old your unit is or capacity, but when my old Kohler started acting up the valve wouldn't quite shut off and the tube for the overflow would make it look like it was running as the water broke over the top. It would be noisy sometimes, but other times very quiet. Didn't see what it was until it got bad enough I could find it, then I lived with it for about two months(pulled the valve up by hand if it got fussy) while I searched for a replacement part for a mongo-size water tank unit from that era. Found this company selling the extra tall style in solid brass, never an issue since.

It's almost always the guts. Pretty easy to replace and sold as a unit. Or, if you have an older, high capacity toilet, you can get a dual-flush Glacier Bay toilet at Home Depot for a hunski that comes with the valve, wax ring and bolts. Everything you need except the supply line. They have a 1.0 gal flush (No. 1) and a 1.3 gal flush (No. 2). I use them at home and in my rentals.

Appreciate the replies. We have 3 Mansfield toilets, been in since house was built in '97. They're made in the USA but have to doubt the plastic guts are. Pretty much trouble-free over the decades. Irritating since troubleshooting typically has been a zero brainer. Parts are cheap so will just replace them. Nothing like working on a toilet when the temp is 80 and sun is shining..

Your toilets are outside? Be sure to put some sun screen on.
Yeah, it is a bitch in January...well November, December, February, March, April, and forgot October too...no heated seat.

The seal (flapper my name for it) gets hard and doesn't seal. The seat below that the flapper sits on could be damaged. That was bad on a toilet I had replaced toilet for other reasons. Weeping inlet shut valve.

X2 on the flapper. I didn't see that you replaced it in your original posting? Also, I had a running toilet issue a while back with a new flapper that went bad VERY quickly. Found out that those pretty blue pills that the Boss Lady was dropping in the tanks was the culprit. Some flappers are made from a material that those blue pill chemicals react badly with. New flapper and took out the blue pills = problem solved!

Yeah, it is a bitch in January...well November, December, February, March, April, and forgot October too...no heated seat.
LOL
Reminds me-
The Dakota I just got at an estate sale, the 80 something year old man was still using the outhouse, he only had one faucet indoors in the kitchen. Lived on a farmstead, original house. One of the many 1890's farm homes in the state.

Appreciate the replies. We have 3 Mansfield toilets, been in since house was built in '97. They're made in the USA but have to doubt the plastic guts are. Pretty much trouble-free over the decades. Irritating since troubleshooting typically has been a zero brainer. Parts are cheap so will just replace them. Nothing like working on a toilet when the temp is 80 and sun is shining..
Did you replace the seal between the fill tube and the bottom of the tank? Not just between the tank and bowl. Just did that for a customer we did 4 bathrooms for. She had Toto toilets single piece (overpriced and overrated). Saved her about 8 hundred bucks, at least, would have been double at least, for Toto’s. They were 20 years old, but perfect otherwise.

Did the OP look at the washer/disk that seals the fill valve when the float presses on it?

In my experience that's one of the most common issues.

They get impressed with the shape of the seat over time and/or get brittle.

Sometimes you can turn them over for a temporary fix.

Our Mansfield toily will run intermittently for a few seconds then stop and repeat a few minutes later. Water seeps into the bowl. Noticed the top gasket in the tank beneath the flusher rod looked iffy and it was. Took it off and replaced it. Good to go...so I thought. Removed the tank to replace the gasket btw the bowl and tank. This one looked fine, but installed a new one and tank needed a good cleaning anyway. Back together and SAME **** (pun here).

Float looks good, cleaned it and readjusted. Water inlet tower to the float looks good. See no bubbling. No leaks around the toilet. WTH? Have repaired more toilets than I care to remember. Only thing I'm pondering now is replace the entire works.
Anyone have tips on what the eff it could be? Thanks
Sounds like the seat is messed up ...

replace the seal between the fill tube and the bottom of the tank
Next step in the battle - had no leakage or bubbling there thinking it was ok. So far: Toilet is up 3 wins to my zero. lol

Auto Transport Service
Back