• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

torque converter question

elm71340

Local time
10:19 AM
Reaction score
I have a 69 Super Bee, mild build 440, 484 lift cam, .391 gears, 727 auto. It currently has a stock converter. Do you think a 2500 stall converter would be suitable for my application?...looking for a little more pep from a start.

Thanks - Eric

If it were me, before you spend on a convertor, buy a timing cover set (gaskets and crank seal) and the camshaft bushings and a camshaft degreeing kit. Then degree the cam, and advance it 4 degrees from the advertised ICL. Then see if it's still soft down low.

You could go with more stall, like 10", 2800-3200 no problem.

A tork converter will make ALL the difference. Dynamic, Turbo Action, A-1 and others. More a somewhat application a 10" is likely a good choice. More radical is the 9" or 8" versions. Good luck.
I should have mentioned Coan, I had a great one from them.

a friend of mine had that cam in a 440 and use a "rated" 2500rpm converter with it. with the proper ignition curve the combo worked well.

I put a Hughes 2500 stall 11 inch converter in my tuned, but stock 440 GTX with 3.55 gears. It's pretty loose - I would think it would be fine with the 3.91 gears unless that cam is bigger than I think it is. Some tuning for low end as suggested above would probably be a good idea. Just re-mapping the distributor advance curve by limiting centrifugal advance to allow more initial timing helps a lot.

Not to deminish the expertise of others posting, I would suggest calling a couple of manufacturers and ask their recommendations telling them your exact combination. Not all 11" converters are the same, as not all 10" or 9"" are the same. Two different builders of say 10" converters can have different innards and act completely different.

All the converter comps create a different product. I've used several over the years, each one is different. My first B&M 10" was modified and worked fantastic. My next several Turbo Action 3800/4200 worked well too. My Coan worked very well. In my new Satellite the 10" Turbo Action did really well. My current Dynamic 9 1/2" seems to be really good for a big inch motor

Auto Transport Service
Back