• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque Converter

redline

Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
Forgot to fill torque converter with fluid. Will it fill itself or do I have to pull tranny. Its a Hughes 2500 without a plug.

yes, pump should fill it. run in N or P. watch level. should be OK

A fresh trans I always get rear wheels up an 1to2inchs.put in N then add 4or5 qts.start motor cheak and bring to full.then pull in gear run thruw the gears and recheak.this was told to me by marv ripps of A-1 trans.hop this helps....Artie

sorry, but I would NEVER start a new trans with absolutely no fluid in the converter. The time it takes to fill up the converter is negligible, but the rotations on your front pump gear without fluid is enough to create enough friction for metal to transfer.

Like godfather said, raise the back end up and add 4-5 qts.... start the car, put in N , the wheels should start to spin then you know your fluid level is close .... then top it off !! no worries !!!

Like godfather said, raise the back end up and add 4-5 qts.... start the car, put in N , the wheels should start to spin then you know your fluid level is close .... then top it off !! no worries !!!

DO NOT DO THIS! You may get lucky, but I can guarantee you that if you do not, Hughes will not warranty your converter if it fails. I called PTC converters, had a couple from them and they are on it, and the rep stated that, "we put at least a cup full of transmission fluid in there to lubricate the converter bearings, if you run it without fluid, it is like running your engine without oil or break-in lube."

He is right.. the time it will take for your transmission to pump fluid into your converter is not much, but its enough to create converter failure due to metal to metal transfer on your converter bearings.

Its your call, but 2 hours of doing it right can save you $$$ in regards to buying a new trans or converter. BTW, if your converter fails, you will need to rebuild your transmission.

DO NOT DO THIS! You may get lucky, but I can guarantee you that if you do not, Hughes will not warranty your converter if it fails. I called PTC converters, had a couple from them and they are on it, and the rep stated that, "we put at least a cup full of transmission fluid in there to lubricate the converter bearings, if you run it without fluid, it is like running your engine without oil or break-in lube."

He is right.. the time it will take for your transmission to pump fluid into your converter is not much, but its enough to create converter failure due to metal to metal transfer on your converter bearings.

Its your call, but 2 hours of doing it right can save you $$$ in regards to buying a new trans or converter. BTW, if your converter fails, you will need to rebuild your transmission.

I have to AGREE!!!!!You only have to pull the trans back far enough to sneek the 'verter out.The 2 hours includes lunch:icon_kidra:

your right, you should always pour fluid into the converter before install ... i did, poured 1qt into converter then put trans in and filled the rest ..... but if its already together and dry, can those few seconds before the pump fills the converter really hurt it ???? i understand the metal to metal issue, can it heat up that much in such a short period of time ??

Did you lube the front seal? If not, that's another good reason to pull it....

your right, you should always pour fluid into the converter before install ... i did, poured 1qt into converter then put trans in and filled the rest ..... but if its already together and dry, can those few seconds before the pump fills the converter really hurt it ???? i understand the metal to metal issue, can it heat up that much in such a short period of time ??

have you ever tried to start an engine with the rod/main bearings completely dry? do you think that will hurt the bearings? you have to look at it the same way.

ultimately, you have to ask yourself, is adding one quart and 2 hours of your time really worth losing the warranty, the converter and a transmission over.

have you ever tried to start an engine with the rod/main bearings completely dry? do you think that will hurt the bearings? you have to look at it the same way.

ultimately, you have to ask yourself, is adding one quart and 2 hours of your time really worth losing the warranty, the converter and a transmission over.

x2 I couldnt remember final torquing my caps on my 8.75 after it was in the car and buttoned up. Pulled everything apart and checked. Was done. Now I dont have to worry. I gaurantee you if you dont pull it apart you will worry every time it leaves the garage. Do it right.

x2 I couldnt remember final torquing my caps on my 8.75 after it was in the car and buttoned up. Pulled everything apart and checked. Was done. Now I dont have to worry. I gaurantee you if you dont pull it apart you will worry every time it leaves the garage. Do it right.

Ha that's so true,after I built my 440 stroker I couldn't remember if I torqued my main caps because the crank had been in and out so many times to check the clearance.I pulled the pan and checked them and they were fine but it was still worth the time it took because now the worry is gone.

Well I droped tranny and added fluid, Better safe than sorry, Took more than 2 hours but I did have help from my wife, Worth every minute to see her under the car covered with greese and oil !

Well I droped tranny and added fluid, Better safe than sorry, Took more than 2 hours but I did have help from my wife, Worth every minute to see her under the car covered with greese and oil !

You know we need to see pic's:eek:or,,,,,,,,,,,it didn't happen:toothy2:

Auto Transport Service
Back