• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion bar adjustment

at the age of the car the adjuster bolt may need some lubricant. if it moves smooth -go, if it doesn't want to turn, only try to turn in a little back and forth and lube again till it gives up. if it doesn't want to move don't use an impact gun,

The FSM is gonna tell him how to set the ride height to factory specs, measuring the difference between 2 points, etc.

No need for that if adjusting to desired height.

I just get some of the weight off, then turn as stated equal turns (same way, both sides).

About a inch and you may skate on the alignment.

At 2, you're very likely to need it set.

If you do go for an alignment, make sure to discuss what you did and what you want/don't want done as "the book" has step one of the alignment process as returning the ride height to factory spec, which will likely undo what you just did.

That's usually an awkward conversation. Also make sure the person you talk to actually communicates that info to the person working on the car.
Like YY1 says AND make sure the front end guy is knowledgeable on old school alignment specs. Hmmmn, Beaufort ; see many jets around there? Semper Fi.

What Geri said.
Those bolts are gonna be stubborn. I'd hit them with penetrating solvent before attempting to turn. You don't want to round one off, and break it or you just made more work for yourself.

Last edited:
What Geri said.
Those bolts are gonna be stubborn. I'd hit them with penetrating solvent before attempting to turn. You don't want to round one off, and break it or you just made more work for yourself.
side note- 1957 a friend had just got a new Dodge D-500 black hardtop, gorgeous it was his drive to my senior year car. he lowered it via torsion bars and it looked even better, he got a call from ??? one late night about 1AM so he tells, someone he didn't know but found out who the owner of the black dodge was and owned one himself asked- how do you lower a car with torsion bars? without skipping a beat Karl said, oh you just heat them like coil springs and hung up. never knew the outcome of that. but torsion bars were cheap. speaking of cheap when the super stock hood scoops came out (aluminum) they were available at Moparts for, $79.00,way to expensive many said. I boughtthe Ford air inlet scoops wit hthe chrome front surround and screen which were very expensive at $39.00 each. should have bought the mopar scoop for my '63 Plymouth.

Thanks for all the info. I think I will leave it alone for now.
it's nota big issue just use penetrant oil and work slowly I got both sides loose and free on a '64 Dodge that was rusted and the adjustment never changed, just took time, it's better to have them work freely anyway. now go to work!

Auto Transport Service
Back