• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

towing my car

belvedere 67

Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
I have to take my car to the shop tomorrow morning. Its about 30 miles away. Its not drivable, not more that a few feet away. (major torsion bar issues). Anyway is there a problem putting the old belvedere on a car dolly and putting the 4 speed in neutral? Will this hurt anything or should I pull out the drive shaft? Thanks

That distance with the tranny in neutral is no problem...manual trannies hold up better when towing than automatics...I would do it

if you have major torsion bar issues i wouldn't use a tow dolly at all....I'd use wood blocks to secure the suspension at ride height and use a trailer.

Towing a manual transmission in neutral does not hurt a thing. No need to pull the drive shaft.

When using a dolly, the cars front suspension still cycles up and down (the dolly has no suspension)...the wheels just won't rotate. I agree with kb67mopar. If you have suspension issues with the front end preventing the car from being driven, it needs to go on a trailer. Strap it down by hooking to the sub-frame & compressing the suspension. If you cannot compress the front suspension due to the torsion bar problem, do as suggested: block the frame and pull the car tight to the block. This ensures the trailer's suspension is used and not the cars. Good luck getting it (safely) to the shop.

I'd put it on a roll back! a lot less hassle

With a manual I don't believe you'll have to pull the driveline but that is your choice. However watch the dolly. I've seen them put dents in the dog leg of front fenders more than once.

My advice is do not tow manual trans more that a few miles, cause, Input shaft going speed of engine (0) cluster gear going speed of engine (0) and
1st, 2nd and 3rd gear going speed of engine (0). Mainshaft going speed of driveshaft 2 to 3 thousand rpm. Lube going to area between gears and mainshaft (0) I would like to have all the money I have charged for these repairs. One corvette made it 28 miles on new trans before seized. The older stuff had brass bushings, which made it a little further.

Auto Transport Service
Back