• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tranny fluid

Ron 73

Deceased, But not forgotton
Local time
1:09 PM
Reaction score
Whats the best tranny fluid for automatic, not sure which ones in it, my car a fake, 73 runner clone, 318 auto. Is Lucas additive for trannys good/bad. Id like to know EXACTLY what to send for, any particular one i could send and get? The autozone where im at is mixed up most of the time so if possible let me know exactly what to ask for,thanks Ron :icon_hang: kinda way im feeling at 4.54 am...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but your AutoZone should have a Chrysler type trans fluid. This is what you use if you're changing fluid. If you need to top it off, you can use Dexron Mercon

Im sorry, I didnt mean it as they do not carry MOPAR fluid I cant remember without going out to the garage what the name is, But its one ive never heard of. I just want the best possible for my car, MOPAR is the top of the line automobile, ive had plenty of Chevys but In my book Mopar is top of the heap with looks, performance and all else.I Had 2 63's and one 64 SS chevy impalas, I restored a 66 chevelle and 72 chevelle loved them but MOPAR tops them all. All i meant is the people up there are not as street smart as folks think they are, the price of MOPAR parts are in a high price bracket, Better take good care of them, restoring a mopar is a might more exspecive then chevy and the other one (F-&$^#). When i get the bigblock rebuilt there will be one A-833 behind it, for now i want the best fluid for the auto i can put in it. Thanks, Ron...

You can use the newer ATF+4 that the new Mopar's have in them, but it's pretty spendy for no real benefit for your older transmission. A Dexron/Mercon transmission fluid will work just fine. If you are doing a fluid change, I'd spring for a new filter as well, since your going to be dropping the transmission pan anyway unless someone added a drain plug. While you have the pan off, spend a few extra minutes and adjust the bands as well. Your transmission will live a lot longer if it's properly maintained.

Thanks 72 Charger, The only thing is, i wouldnt know where to begin to adgust bands, Ive always delt with 4-speeds in any make the only mopar's i ever had with autos in them were a 67 charger and a 65 coranet, 3 runners but all 4 speeds...And ive already bought the filter if i have the right one, Im being told that Lucas additive is very good for it, is this true? Ron

I would like to know how to adjust the bands also

To adjust the bands, you will need 2 things, an inch-pound torque wrench and an 8 point socket for the square head adjustment bolt. Front band is adjusted from outside the case, rear band is adjusted with the pan removed. Both adjusters have a nut on them to lock them in place after they have been set. With the locking nut backed off, tighten the adjuster to 72 inch-pounds and then back the adjuster off - front band gets backed off either 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 turns IIRC (I'd have to look it up), rear band gets backed off 2 turns. Hold the adjuster in place and tighten the locking nut.

As far as additives, I've never used any in mine, and never had a problem. I know some guys who love them, and others who say to stay away from them. It's far more important to have good, clean, unburned transmission fluid circulating, and to adjust the bands every so often.

Use a name-brand Dex/Merc. Alternatively, Type F will give a firmer shift. You can even mix the two fluids to tailor the shift feel as desired.

I would stick w/ ATF (no Lucas additive).

Auto Transport Service
Back