• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost! My late Mother's 1968 Dodge Charger HELP

vinray89

Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
OK, so here's my story, I hope someone can help me. My dear late mother had a 1968 Dodge Charger when I was a little kid. I believe she owned it from around 1969 until about 1975 or so. It was purchased from McCredie Dodge Chrysler in Keokuk Iowa, but I do not know if it was purchased new or used and whether or not McCredie's was the original dealer or if they got it somewhere else. I have scoured in vain to try and find a VIN number or license plate number or something to go on, but I have had no luck. All I remember is that my parents sold the car after I believe the transmission crapped out. Never saw it again after that and I have NO clue who purchased it back then or what eventually became of the car. All I know for sure is that it was a 1968 Charger in light green poly paint with a black vinyl top and black vinyl interior, bucket seats and an automatic shift with center console. Can't recall what engine it had or what trim level it was. I thought it was an SE, but not sure. I only know for certain that is was NOT a high performance model. Probably had either the 318 or the 383 at most. NO Hemi, no 440 or anything like that and definitely not an R/T edition. I was hoping that there might be a way to go through Chrysler and find the records of all new Dodge Chargers that were shipped to McCredie Dodge in 1967 or 1968 and perhaps locate the VIN that way to give me something concrete to look for. I really just want to know what became of the old gal and whether or not it still exists or if it was destroyed years ago or what. I'm sure no matter what state it would be in today if it still exists, I could NEVER afford to purchase it back, but just to be reunited or at least know that it still exists would make me VERY happy indeed. If anyone can give me some help in my search, please contact me. Thanks.
(The car in the photo is NOT her car, but her's looked just like this one with the possible exception of the magnum 500 wheels. I'm pretty sure her's did not have those and instead had steel wheels with hubcaps. Otherwise, it looked exactly the same.)

1968 Dodge Charger Light Green Poly Like Mom's.jpg

Fond memories of days past. All the sweet memories. Best of luck.

OK, so here's my story, I hope someone can help me. My dear late mother had a 1968 Dodge Charger when I was a little kid. I believe she owned it from around 1969 until about 1975 or so. It was purchased from McCredie Dodge Chrysler in Keokuk Iowa, but I do not know if it was purchased new or used and whether or not McCredie's was the original dealer or if they got it somewhere else. I have scoured in vain to try and find a VIN number or license plate number or something to go on, but I have had no luck. All I remember is that my parents sold the car after I believe the transmission crapped out. Never saw it again after that and I have NO clue who purchased it back then or what eventually became of the car. All I know for sure is that it was a 1968 Charger in light green poly paint with a black vinyl top and black vinyl interior, bucket seats and an automatic shift with center console. Can't recall what engine it had or what trim level it was. I thought it was an SE, but not sure. I only know for certain that is was NOT a high performance model. Probably had either the 318 or the 383 at most. NO Hemi, no 440 or anything like that and definitely not an R/T edition. I was hoping that there might be a way to go through Chrysler and find the records of all new Dodge Chargers that were shipped to McCredie Dodge in 1967 or 1968 and perhaps locate the VIN that way to give me something concrete to look for. I really just want to know what became of the old gal and whether or not it still exists or if it was destroyed years ago or what. I'm sure no matter what state it would be in today if it still exists, I could NEVER afford to purchase it back, but just to be reunited or at least know that it still exists would make me VERY happy indeed. If anyone can give me some help in my search, please contact me. Thanks.
(The car in the photo is NOT her car, but her's looked just like this one with the possible exception of the magnum 500 wheels. I'm pretty sure her's did not have those and instead had steel wheels with hubcaps. Otherwise, it looked exactly the same.)

View attachment 1553954
Once in a great while, the insurance companies will keep old files. Most purge them but maybe if you can figure out if there was insurance and the company or agent. You can contact to see if they still maintain the records. Very big long shot but you never know until you try. Best of luck!!

No SE’s in ‘68, and they all had buckets until 1970. Without a VIN… even with one. It’ll be tough to find.

Many years ago I thought my 1970 Cadillac DeVille was once owned by a neighbor when I was a kid in Brooklyn. I got friendly with a sweet older lady (I'm her age now 40 years later) at the Dealer section of DMV who printed out the ownership history of my car. (Turned out he never owned it.) That day I did not have my VIN on me. She punched in my name and retrieved the VIN. Perhaps the DMV in Iowa could do the same so you can at least get the VIN. A shot in the dark but you'll never know if you don't try.

I feel for ya, really I do.... But, if you're in the market for a Charger, you should just go buy one if you can afford it. Really would be awesome to find you mom's, but this ain't Fantasy Island!! Not being sarcastic, really. I'll eat my hat if you find it lol. :poke:

Oh, and Welcome to the group!! :thumbsup:

I know of a guy here in Ontario that went to the DMV and got a list of all the cars that had ever been registered to him and got the VIN for his old Cuda that way. Then he ran the VIN and hit the name of the latest owner. Don’t know if that will work in your state but a trip to the DMV will soon tell you. Good luck.

I already tried the DMV route. That was my first attempt actually, but in Iowa their records don't go back that far. I know it's probably a fool's errand, but I really thought there were probably records from Chrysler somewhere that showed what cars were shipped to which dealer. Since this was a small town dealership, there couldn't have been that many 1968 Dodge Chargers sent to them from the factory, so that would narrow it down considerably. Contacting Chrysler now would be a waste of time. I don't think they have any interest in anything to do with the company's history, only turning a profit now. I didn't know if so-called MOPAR "expert" researchers had access to those records or not, or even who to contact to ask. I know that one name I used to hear all the time about being a go-to source of info for MOPAR history and info was Galen Govier, but recently I've been seeing a lot of negative comments online about him not being so trustworthy anymore. I also thought about Mark Worman who does "Graveyard Cars", but it's not easy getting in touch with "celebrities".

the light green really narrows the search :rolleyes:

good luck on the hunt!

Welcome and hope you may get lucky. Few years ago at the request of my cousin’s daughter, I went on the hunt for my departed cousin’s ’64 Polara 426/4spd he bought new at Grand Spaulding Dodge in Chicago. Even have the VIN for it, but came up empty and finally gave it up. Lot can happen in half a century and nice old Dodges can have a risky life.

Amazing things can happen when you get the word out. I test drove a new Plymouth GTX over 50 years ago, when I was 16 years old. Decades later I was curious what happened to the car. Started talking to folks at car shows, and twenty years ago, I met the current owner at the Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle, PA. I had no VIN, just a photograph of the car from back in the day. Last year, he finally sold it to me.
GTX front.jpg

Wow, YOU got lucky
I can't imagine what the odd were against it. And numbers matching, restored to better than new condition. I know for a fact it wasn't that nice when new, because I was there. I spent 20 years looking for it, then the next 20 negotiating the sale. Point is, this freaky stuff can happen in this hobby.

Try this:

can't imagine what the odd were against it.
Lol, when I’ve gotten lucky on something I’ll usually buy a lottery ticket that day thinking my luck might have some tails on it. NOPE, no tails..

This was my mom's 70 Charger R/T SE that my parents bought new. I have been told it still exists,and is in a town 15 miles away from me. I haven't seen the car since 1986.

moms Charger.jpg

20220531_224057.jpg

Last edited:
I would try the DMV in the county your folks would have registered it.
Before anyone says they can't hand out that info ..... I know that.
If that charger got registered in a small county court house you may find some help if you go in person.
Large county , multiple clerks forget it.
Sometimes small town clerks wil surprise you. Worst they can do is tell you no.
Good luck.

I know that one name I used to hear all the time about being a go-to source of info for MOPAR history and info was Galen Govier, but recently I've been seeing a lot of negative comments online about him not being so trustworthy anymore.

First you need to send Galen about $8 billion. Then he’ll be glad to tell you a bunch of made up garbage…

Auto Transport Service
Back