• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission blanket ???

You nailed the issue. I have a full exhaust system with an H Pipe. I suppose I could cut it and have it redone.... can’t remember right now if there’s anything else I’d have to work around if I moved it. I’ll take a look.

You nailed the issue. I have a full exhaust system with an H Pipe. I suppose I could cut it and have it redone.... can’t remember right now if there’s anything else I’d have to work around if I moved it. I’ll take a look.
Gary, on a simpler note, when I used a Simpson blanket I had the same problem with the close fit. I pulled the collector back and wedged a piece of header gasket between the blanket and collector for an interference fit. It never did fall out. Simple! :blah:
Bob :moparsmiley:

I have been running a trans blanket on my street car for about 4 years now. I have not noticed the trans running any hotter. It was a tight fit as I lowered the trans crossmember and lowered the trans a little to install it. Its very close to my headers but its never melted any of it. Ron

I bought a universal blanket from jegs, but have yet to install it. I'm using a non low band apply valve body, without any good parts in it(that i know of). I think its pretty important in my situation. My car has already had trans parts come thru the floor, but long prior to my ownership.
And THANKS mike ,for the install tips!

I bought the Jegs Universal blanket. Didn't fit my 727, designed for a glide I think & straps were too short for my deep pan. If you go fast enough the tech guys look for it where I race. I bought the "custom" 727 blanket from Cope, big enough but does rest against my TTI's.

I have a djsafety Shorty blanket . I did make a short extension bar on the shift cable bracket going rearwards to keep the blanket off the end of the shift cable . I think there is a 50cent size area near driver collector where heat has affected the nylon covering .

Tex

Can I ask if that shield is accepted as a flex plate shield also? Anybody see a flexplate come apart?.

2017 I was at Bowling Green NMCA race. Went to put the car in the trailer and the starter didn't engage. It was late, dark, and we had eliminations the next day. So my wife held the flashlight and I dug into pulling a header tube and swapping the starter. Got it all swapped, no go. I thought for some reason a tooth on the ring gear got messed up. Moved the crank and it started. Next morning in line for eliminations it happened again. Dejected I missed 1st round. Now in the daylight we get the car jacked up. First I saw a small nick in the access cutout in the bottom of the bell housing. Um, never saw that before. Then noticed one header tube dented and another nearly cut in half. Looking into the bell housing 25% of the ring gear was gone. Never heard or felt anything. Not a scratch inside the bell housing. Where and when in the run did it come loose? Don't know. Fast forward to this years NMCA race at Bowling Green. This is even more bizarre. I see an Oldsmobile come back from a pass. The drivers window is shattered. The driver has been clipped by something. He looks in the car and finds a Mopar starter bendix on the back floor. The Dart in the left lane had busted the ring gear. It jammed into the starter breaking the nose off. The starter bendix flew out, bounced off the track and thru the drivers window. Fortunately the Olds driver had a full face helmet.
Doug

Wow! Thats something else! Track can be a dangerous place. Years ago my dad took us all to ascot to watch them run practice laps. We sat at the end of the front straight. With one car on the track an object came flying through the air and hit me on the left knee. Hurt like hell
It was a nice size piece of a brake drum. Kept it for many years til I lost it. I was about 8 years old at the time.

2017 I was at Bowling Green NMCA race. Went to put the car in the trailer and the starter didn't engage. It was late, dark, and we had eliminations the next day. So my wife held the flashlight and I dug into pulling a header tube and swapping the starter. Got it all swapped, no go. I thought for some reason a tooth on the ring gear got messed up. Moved the crank and it started. Next morning in line for eliminations it happened again. Dejected I missed 1st round. Now in the daylight we get the car jacked up. First I saw a small nick in the access cutout in the bottom of the bell housing. Um, never saw that before. Then noticed one header tube dented and another nearly cut in half. Looking into the bell housing 25% of the ring gear was gone. Never heard or felt anything. Not a scratch inside the bell housing. Where and when in the run did it come loose? Don't know. Fast forward to this years NMCA race at Bowling Green. This is even more bizarre. I see an Oldsmobile come back from a pass. The drivers window is shattered. The driver has been clipped by something. He looks in the car and finds a Mopar starter bendix on the back floor. The Dart in the left lane had busted the ring gear. It jammed into the starter breaking the nose off. The starter bendix flew out, bounced off the track and thru the drivers window. Fortunately the Olds driver had a full face helmet.
Doug
Had a ring gear break off completely and sit within the trans bell
Now have billet cover with the ring secure all the way around not by out riggers. A little heavier but in my opinion safer

Trans blankets are a pain in the ***. My RCI gets close to the headers and gets a bit toasty on the cover. But you will be glad you had one if something let's loose. And not just keeping tech happy. It's especially true with autos. But clutch cars are not necessarily out of the woods. Like everything else. The more power? The higher the risk. My track at Brainard international Raceway is very touchy with the rules. If you run in the 10s or better? Trans blank/protection is a must. A closer, smaller track, only checks my seat belts and helmet.

1. Think shields and blankets can be a pain? Better than what happened to a friend's nephews car last year. He has a shield now
  2. Doug
  3. 13854.jpeg
    13856.jpeg
    13852.jpeg

Hopefully he’s alright.
Looks like part of a blanket under that one.
I’ve one for sale on the board if he needs one.

6E186CFA-556B-4747-AEE6-AC8D1D42800B.jpeg

He was fine . Car has been repaired.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back