• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission for 68 GTX

BumperMan

Local time
12:36 AM
Reaction score
So most of you guys know that I have been rebuilding my motor for my GTX, my question is what needs to be done to the transmission? Is there any seals that needs to be replaced? If so what kind? Is there anything else that all you guys with more knowledge than myself would do?

Is there a checklist out there that can be used for making sure a transmission is working properly? Keep in mine, this car has been sitting in a garage since 1973.

Thanks in advance

Assuming you have the original HD 727 with 4 planetary gear set. Any engine mods? Shift kit, filter, front pump seal, tail shaft seal and band adjustments would be a good start point depending upon the condition of your trans when parked in 73. If it had issue them a total rebuild. If it has set all this time with no fluid in it rebuild it as internal seals could have deterreated. If it was mine I would rebuild it it is out of the car and a rebuild kit it less than $200. Less than having it hauled home if it quits working.

I strongly suggest that you rebuild now. You'll be glad that you did. Oxidation and condensation have been working that transmission over for decades. Seals are dry (shot).
A shift kit gets my vote too.

I probably should have mentioned this in my first post but it is a 4 speed car, not a automatic

Heh, my mistake. When you asked for "shift kit", the first thing I thought of was a valve body kit for automatics. I really didn't know there was a shift kit for a manual. What is it?

So most of you guys know that I have been rebuilding my motor for my GTX, my question is what needs to be done to the transmission? Is there any seals that needs to be replaced? If so what kind? Is there anything else that all you guys with more knowledge than myself would do?

Is there a checklist out there that can be used for making sure a transmission is working properly? Keep in mine, this car has been sitting in a garage since 1973.

Thanks in advance

Here is the original post, but I forgot to mention it was a 4 speed transmission.

Four speed would, should be a A-833 and sitting that long if your not sure it should have new front and rear seals along with new sycro's to make sure all is ok....

- - - Updated - - -

It should look like this bud!

4 speed.jpg

Ron that's what I needed to know, thanks a lot. Where would u recommend the best place to get those seals at?

I probably should have mentioned this in my first post but it is a 4 speed car, not a automatic

I think the best shift kit you can get for a manual transmission is as many 16 oz curls you can do in a day. You need to really build up that right arm.

Then, for lightning fast reflex enhancement I suggest you have one of your kids throw baseballs at your head as hard as they can from 10 feet away then swat them with your right arm before they dent your skull. Do this at least twice a day.

Let us know how it turns out.

If it was working alright before should work OK now. Change the tail shaft seal and gear lube. The front has no seal. Uses a gasket and will last forever if not torn. Syncro's do not go bad from sitting.

If it was working alright before should work OK now. Change the tail shaft seal and gear lube. The front has no seal. Uses a gasket and will last forever if not torn. Syncro's do not go bad from sitting.

Your right, i have no idea how long it set and that doesn't hurt them, But if he doesn't know or know how to look over the Syncro's he needs to have someone check them or get new ones, to much to chance if your putting it in you/we want to be sure.. i just can go by whats said, and thanks, i didn't know the front has no seal, ill need to look at mine closer even though i know it has to be rebuilt, mine is from a 70 Challenger, explanation its a E-body 833, Are they different? front seals? Im no expert for sure but im positive it needs rebuilt, to much play in the front to make me smile and these things weigh in at 168 pounds, that part i know, ive had to move it a few times, lol, thank you for posting, it helped me and im sure will help him!

- - - Updated - - -

They are for sure a very tuff durable trans, one of the best ever built and back in my day i sure put a few thru the torment and never had one give up but building new now is different, maybe its just me getting older :)

Did we just make an A$$umption? Well for land's sake! Great googely moogely!
That won't EVER happen again.

Yeah, right..

All of you guys have given me some great information, since you guys have gave me a direction to head in now it's time to get those seals and get this thing going. I love it when these project keep going forward.

Thanks Guys

833 New Process 4 speed

Thanks in advance

BumperMan

Here are some pictures of the syncronizers,gaskets and seals that I am installing in a 69 roadrunner 833 trans.

There are also 2 seals that go into the speedometer adapter.

The bottom picture is some of the parts that are inside the transmission.

Hope this will help you

Jeff

DSCN6310.jpgDSCN6311.jpgDSCN6313.jpgDSCN6314.jpgDSCN6307.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back