• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission oil pan conundrum.

dodgemahal

Local time
4:08 PM
Reaction score
I was watching a YouTube channel recently and a guy(Uncle Tony) said synthetic motor oil can seep through gaskets made of cork. I wondered if this can apply to synthetic transmission oil as well. I changed transmission oil on my '67 Coronet A727 using a Mahle brand gasket, which is cork with a steel carrier. Right away it started to leak along the forward edge of the pan. I'm using valvoline synthetic. I'm extremely meticulous about these things and think I did everything right and to spec. Anyone else experience this? Any favorite gasket brand? Looks like I'll have to start over, dang it!

There is no chemical/physical reason why "synthetic" trans oil would leak more or less than conventional trans oil

Does anyone use a gasket dressing like Indian or permatex? Both are non-hardening and tacky. I usually do, and as I said, I've done many of these and this is my first leaker.

Does anyone use a gasket dressing like Indian or permatex? Both are non-hardening and tacky. I usually do, and as I said, I've done many of these and this is my first leaker.
A good gasket and a flat pan doesn't need sealer. You can put sealer on the pan side of the gasket but you'll need an air chisel to remove it one day.

Mike,a good soak with brake clean loosens that stuff up.

Here's a thread I started for 904 pans and gaskets. Old Torqueflites can use the same pan and gasket as the later model overdrives. Heavy gauge steel, a drain plug, and extra capacity are all plusses. The newer gaskets are very high quality, are silicone coated and have a steel core. They are reusable. Deep 904 transmission pan?

Just a FYI. Ma Mopar only used silicone sealer and no gaskets on the 80's Dodge Omni's automatic pans.
I worked at a place that had a fleet of Omni salesmen cars that we serviced.

Auto Transport Service
Back