• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tricks to get door open?

furious70

Local time
6:25 AM
Reaction score
The passenger door on my 69 coronet has been stuck closed for years. It's been sitting waiting for the body shop so no big deal. I got the door panel off and it looks like all linkage is together and operating from both handles but it won't open. I've tried lifting up and resorted to someone holding the button while I gave it swift kicks on the inside (with them standing off to the side) :lol:

Now I'm as stuck as the door, other ideas?

I know nuthingggg, (Sgt Schultz line), however..... If you have the inner panel off, you should be able to see the latching mechanism. I would spray the hell out of it with WD40 or some other lubricant/ penetrant. You should be able to also see the rods connecting to it. You might be able to remove one at a time and work them back & forth. which would help loosen anything stuck in the mechanism. Heck, you could maybe even hit the mechanism with some heat for a few seconds. I have loosened quite a few things that way but in some instances, I spray the part immediately with a non flammable lubricant. If that fails, there is always prayer, lol. Good Luck!
:BangHead: :drinks:

The trick is lube. The manual release only moves a lever out of the way. This allows a second lever to move unlatching the door. The second lever moves by spring tension. If it is stuck, the door remains latched. If someone holds the button in you can spray lube and tap on the mechanism. Or get a small pick and poke around while someone holds the button.
Doug

If you haven't found out already the burr on edges can cut you good. Long sleeves and gloves or masking tape to cover edges.

The passenger door on my 69 coronet has been stuck closed for years. It's been sitting waiting for the body shop so no big deal. I got the door panel off and it looks like all linkage is together and operating from both handles but it won't open. I've tried lifting up and resorted to someone holding the button while I gave it swift kicks on the inside (with them standing off to the side) :lol:

Now I'm as stuck as the door, other ideas?
Very possible it's the lock mechanism that's causing the problem.
If the key operate rod or the lock rod to the knob is tripped or stuck nothing will happen. Both have to be in the unlock position before tripping the latch lever inside the door.
That stinking little rod from the key to the latch has tricked me more than once.

The inside lock knob moves freely and seems to move everything it should. I had to leave the shop before getting another chance at this so it'll have to wait awhile unfortunately.
Bonus I found it's not the original door as it's blue inside, the car was originally A4, and was white when I bought it.

Auto Transport Service
Back