• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tropical Storm Ida projected to hit as a Cat 3, maybe 4...

Ah Naples the transplant capital of Florida.
Be safe up there in La.

@440 Charger
In my initial post, I stated I've lived in Louisiana all my life. Missed flooding in Katrina by ¼"
BETSY was my first hurricane, but I hardly remember it.
Camille, Katrina, 2 of the worst.
When you are on the water, no levee protection, and the wind blows water up into Lake Pontchartrain, THAT is a HUGE problem for me where I live.
@Budnicks YES! Evacuate the Roadrunner to a safe place, then go down the list from there.
Thanks for the prayers and well wishes.
The water is already up in the ditches, so I am that much more worried.
This is going to be BAD.

Been tracking it for the past few days, praying for everyone in its path..
If I remember correctly Katrina hit Ocean Springs on Aug 29th which was either a Sunday or Monday.
You all be safe!!!

August 29th...
Wow...
The wind from Katrina blew through a gap in the sliding glass doors of the house I was living in at the time. The seam where the 2 glass doors meet. Usually that is sealed by a gasket, but the door was being pushed on with enough force to open that gap.
The REAL memorable thing about that is the wind was exiting my house under the front door, which had an old, thin metal "gasket" across the bottom at the threshold. That piece of metal vibrated from the speed and volume of wind blowing over it, just like a reed in a musical instrument, and made a really weird sound as it did so.
My yard is going to flood bad.
I have a lot to do tomorrow.
I certainly hope the water doesn't reach my elevated house or Caravan parked high up on the driveway ramp leading to the house.

Stay safe Bio. You're always the first person I think of when hurricanes are imminent there..

August 29th...
Wow...
The wind from Katrina blew through a gap in the sliding glass doors of the house I was living in at the time. The seam where the 2 glass doors meet. Usually that is sealed by a gasket, but the door was being pushed on with enough force to open that gap.
The REAL memorable thing about that is the wind was exiting my house under the front door, which had an old, thin metal "gasket" across the bottom at the threshold. That piece of metal vibrated from the speed and volume of wind blowing over it, just like a reed in a musical instrument, and made a really weird sound as it did so.
My yard is going to flood bad.
I have a lot to do tomorrow.
I certainly hope the water doesn't reach my elevated house or Caravan parked high up on the driveway ramp leading to the house.
Back in 2004, we had Frances crawl over us for about 24 hours and during the storm, the front door was trying to blow inwards. I grabbed a chair and wedged it under doorknob.
About a month later, Jeanne hit in the same place. Since she was stronger and we lived in a stick house, we decided to stay at a friends house. As soon as the wind died down, we drove around downed trees and power lines and checked out the house.took a flashlight inside and saw water dripping from the ceiling where a pine tree branch had come through the roof. I was happy that I had covered the whole living room with Visqueen before leaving . After quickly getting the branch out and covering the hole, I was able to pull the plastic and wet drywall out of the house, saving the wood floor and furniture.

Stay safe!

If you have time...put the 'van up on jackstands. Should net you another foot or so of water before flooding....

I'm sure you thought of this, too, but move any electronics/soft goods (carpets, furniture, etc) upstairs if possible. Moldy drywall is bad enough, without having to worry about movable items as well.

Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back