• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tropical Storm Ida projected to hit as a Cat 3, maybe 4...

Wife read landfall as of 11:00 your time.

you right in the middle of it now?

Wife read landfall as of 11:00 your time.

you right in the middle of it now?
Not yet. Gusts getting stronger with bands of rain. Internet just dropped, but I'm SO HAPPY the power is still on, after a brief outage WAY too early given the weather conditions. Again, I think that must have thrown a switch for some reason, but after about an hour, the power was back on.
One day, I'll have a whole house generator similar to the one I personally installed 2 weeks after Katrina. I had natural gas service still, and the generator came with a 10 or 12 breaker panel that I wired into my main breaker panel. When I get one here, it will have a transfer switch and run the whole house.
Internet came back on...
The worst of it looks like 3:30 pm Central Time until around 9pm.
So...I'm not out of danger yet.

This give y'all an idea of where I am relative to the eye. The bad part is the bands of yellow and red are going to be "training" constantly over my location for 4 hours.
Screenshot_20210829-151655_Chrome.jpg

The house I'm in is decades old, I'm not even sure how old, but I'd guess 40 years?
The one in Mississippi has a variety of hurricane level construction parameters it has to meet.
I happened to be out under the overhang shooting a video about 25 minutes ago and I couldn't tell if what I heard was a tornado or just a lot of wind through a lot of trees, but I'm in the teeth of the bands of bad weather now, power is out and not likely to come back. With the wind blowing the trees like it was I'm not surprised.

Hunker down, that eye is big and your on the nasty side of it.

I want you to stay safe like everyone in the path of this storm. How many billions of tax dollars is it going to cost Americans to rebuild that area just to have it blasted again? How much is everyone else's insurance rate going to go up when they have to pay out for another hurricane? Can we learn to not build in these areas and therefore not burden everyone else for their choices?

Couldn’t agree more. I don’t wish anyone ill will, but FEMA is just more taxpayer burdened wellfare.

My house and area has really been getting hammered. Storm moved due north, so we got the brunt of the east side of the hurricane, always the worst.
No flooding to speak of yet, which is amazing. Aluminum awning that extends off the cabana blew down.
Still, I am grateful for the Grace of God and my friends here where I live and on this forum.

Bio,
We been getting hit pretty steady too. I know you are closer to the eye and stronger winds. Fingers crossed for all in Ida’s path for a safe outcome. We lost power about 6:30 PM, and have been on the whole house generator since. One of my best purchases. Best that I can tell, no damage, but I can’t get out to see the roof.
Ron

I was a kid living in Florida when Camille hit. And it was a monster. Andrew missed me by 10 mi. (That was small but tight and powerful) don't miss hurricane season one bit.

I find it Interesting that in the late 1600's to the 1700's When france established new Orleans, that they considered the area unInhabitable, good for only a place to dock their Navy, and maybe a small contingent of soldiers, plus an ability to go north towards the upper midwest.
Now look at it!

I've been watching coverage since this afternoon following my mom's little Celebration of Life and it's pretty disturbing, bringing back lots of Katrina memories and adding to the already high emotion of the day. I bet you and @Ronnman probably both know Billy (6'5 Mopar lover from Luling and a member of the Easy ... something ... car club down there. He had Challengers and Cudas among many others.)

I was kind of hoping you guys would post an update and let us know how you're doing. Prayers going up in the meantime!

I find it Interesting that in the late 1600's to the 1700's When france established new Orleans, that they considered the area unInhabitable, good for only a place to dock their Navy, and maybe a small contingent of soldiers, plus an ability to go north towards the upper midwest.
Now look at it!

Who got the bright idea to put up a barrier wall in front of swamp land, drain it and build a city that is below sea level?

New Orleans is a lost cause anyways. I watched a documentary on the relocation of Louisiana township Isle De Jean Charles because of rising ocean levels. Future storm surge will be feet higher than what is experienced today. I believe the State needs to re-think the coast line including New Orleans? If you want to keep as is? Levy design has to be greatly upscaled to accommodate the changing Gulf. It was a bad design from the start. Today? Terrible investment. I believe it needs to go back to a wetland.

I understand the cultural loss. But lose big now? Or lose really big in the future?

Who got the bright idea to put up a barrier wall in front of swamp land, drain it and build a city that is below sea level?
You would be hard pressed to find a worse place to build a city. I'm glad that Bio seems to be OK. Hopefully the death toll will be low when all is over.

Auto Transport Service
Back