• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TTI headers for a stroker 440 question

Sahara

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:33 AM
Reaction score
Way North Canada. Polar Bear shaped license plates
My engine is finally in the shop getting the machine work done, then assembly. It’s time to get serious about buying headers. I am asking for guidance.
What I have is a 440 motor home block, 440 Source Stealth aluminum heads. Holley Street Dominator intake, Sniper EFI with matching ignition. Lunati VooDoo hydraulic cam, .529 lift. Erson adjustable 1.5 rockers, Cloyes timing chain and gears. Four speed standard. 3.23 gears.
The builder and I are talking about a 500 inch stroker, around 10.5 compression. I have all parts already except for the stroker kit. Anyway...
This is a street only car, no strip time, no street racing.
I was thinking that the TTI one and seven eights headers would be O.K.
My reasoning is that I’m not high RPM, and if I go too large I lose any scavenging.
Suggestions? And no, Kern, don’t suggest I go **** myself. (Smiley face emoji)

Last edited:
Dougs D452's ... (assuming its a B or E body car) its a 500 c.i. motor, not a 383 !!!

My 383/496 w 610hp/670tq runs the TTI 2-1/8" stepped headers. No loss of bottom end at all. Scares me if I'm not careful. Issue is clearance, they are tight.

Don't know how much it weighs or if you are keeping the 3.23 gears? That being said the 1 7/8 would work just fine.

Don't know how much it weighs or if you are keeping the 3.23 gears? That being said the 1 7/8 would work just fine.
It’s a ‘70 coronet, I’d guess 3900 pounds. I’m hoping the four speed gets me a little wiggle room on rear end gearing. I have the 3.23 SG already built, and up here it’s a hassle getting a different one. I would have preferred 3.5 or 3.7.

I ran 1 3/4 TTIs on a 500 in my old A body cuda. The 1 7/8 will be fine, especially for the street, and they will fit better.

Will be fine with the 3.23 gears. Will have a boatload of torque anyway. Any money spent on porting the heads will go a long way.

I used the TTI 1-7/8" headers on the stealth headed 505" stroker. I was more concerned about fitment and no exhaust leaks than performance.
Only running a 2-1/2" exhaust system. With the EFI, order the headers with the O2 bung(s) welded in.

Sounds like a beast you're building. It'll be a torque monster. I have a 440 build (not stroked) that was dyno'd at near 500hp and more torque and I bought 1 7/8 tti's. I think either MotorTrend or Nicks Garage on YouTube did a comparison on HP and torque on the 2 sizes.

My engine is finally in the shop getting the machine work done, then assembly. It’s time to get serious about buying headers. I am asking for guidance.
What I have is a 440 motor home block, 440 Source Stealth aluminum heads. Holley Street Dominator intake, Sniper EFI with matching ignition. Lunati VooDoo hydraulic cam, .529 lift. Erson adjustable 1.5 rockers, Cloyes timing chain and gears. Four speed standard. 3.23 gears.
The builder and I are talking about a 500 inch stroker, around 10.5 compression. I have all parts already except for the stroker kit. Anyway...
This is a street only car, no strip time, no street racing.
I was thinking that the TTI one and seven eights headers would be O.K.
My reasoning is that I’m not high RPM, and if I go too large I lose any scavenging.
Suggestions? And no, Kern, don’t suggest I go **** myself. (Smiley face emoji)
Just got done with almost the exact same motor. 440 motor home block, 440 source 512 kit, 440 Source Stealth aluminum heads. Have your shop check the valve angle. I went with the comp cams .525. Holley Sniper works great put it on an old Torquer II!! TTI 1 7/8 Headers (Wrapped with DEI Titanium) and full TTI 2 1/2 exhaust 18 spline A833 & 3:55"s & 26"tires. Torque is unreal fun with the 4 speed.. Shifting at 5500 Oh and Power brakes no problem as well.

1 -7/8" is sufficient, and you will have enough clearance, but I would be sure to run a new or solid-conditioned starter so you don't have to pull them out to deal with changing it anytime soon. Also, and perhaps as important, is what the rest of the exhaust is comprised of as you will need at least 2.5 pipes past the collectors to keep it breathing well.

The fear of a too-large header is way overblown. A too large header has to be WAY too large to be a loss in torque, and would you feel it with 500 inches? I don't think so.
I have run a two inch header on a small block, no problem or loss of torque that I could feel. A
friend ran 2 1/4 headers on a 440 that ran great.
That said, I would prefer to see a 2" header in your spot, but a 1 7/8 should be okay. I sure wouldn't go smaller.

Auto Transport Service
Back