• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TUNING A SIX PACK

RJ

I'm so happy YOU two understand each other but for me it probably would have been better if it were written in Greek lol
I'm lost.
What I washed to know would it be better if I had a 6.5 or a 3.5? Or does it not make any difference.
MAPS

RJ

I'm so happy YOU two understand each other but for me it probably would have been better if it were written in Greek lol
I'm lost.
What I washed to know would it be better if I had a 6.5 or a 3.5? Or does it not make any difference.
MAPS
Which components are you not understanding? Is it the nomenclature or the values or ?? Perhaps you should direct your questions to 68 HEMI GTS, as its his vehicle. It is a basic premise of trying to obtain/maintain a A/F reading approximately 14.0, by adjusting the fuel metering orifices of the primary (center) carb. Does this help?
BOB RENTON

@RJRENTON
@68 HEMI GTS HEMI

I was saying thank you really but what I just wanted to understand if the 6.5 pv made a difference if I changed it to the lower 3.5 because the car does bit idle properly and runs too lean or too rich.
Thanks.

tried to figure a way to be able to adjust the rear carb idle. expensive carb adjusting tools don't provide a good angle to reach screws. came up with this and worked well. purchased a spring that is used to clean commercial coffee makers and a short piece of 5/16 brake line. put a bead of weld on the spring and filed down to a blade small enough to engage screw. used 2 #8 washers ( so spring won't thread through brake tubing) and a 5/16 nut for a handle. not pretty (welding skills need help), but worked.
8NIGrtUnmQUf5ilTn_4P_fYZ6Q2z-WPbBlhOekKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1634143241.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea and really nice excution of that idea. Years ago I took a small "flex" screwdriver and welded on a little tip as you have here and it was clumsy and hard to use but what you did is a really nice idea and I may try to duplicate it for my own use.

Just a little thought on "our" Six Packs. When they work there is nothing like it. Usually they work well all the time but when they give you fits they can really be a heart ache! I have two Chrysler products with Six Packs on them and there is nothing that gets the ooh's and ahh's like this set up at a car show. But then I look at the other hotrods in a show and today they all have some form of fuel injection system that works like a new car and I'm very envious!! But my two cars aren't daily drivers and when you open the hood there is nothing that looks better then a Chrysler Six Pack!

Just a little thought on "our" Six Packs. When they work there is nothing like it. Usually they work well all the time but when they give you fits they can really be a heart ache! I have two Chrysler products with Six Packs on them and there is nothing that gets the ooh's and ahh's like this set up at a car show. But then I look at the other hotrods in a show and today they all have some form of fuel injection system that works like a new car and I'm very envious!! But my two cars aren't daily drivers and when you open the hood there is nothing that looks better then a Chrysler Six Pack!

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE ABOUT THE OOH'S & AAH'S. But, re what others have.....to me, its similar to the people that show up at a car cruise, with a new. say Corvette or Dodge Charger Or Hellcat.....if I wanted to see a new car, I'd go to the respective dealer. I have 2 new vehicles, an Escalade and a Buick Envision complete with all their new toys.... I go to a car show to see the old iron....the survivors, the origional stuff, not current technology on old iron and the new stuff stays home....but this is just me....
BOB RENTON

I love my Six-Pack also! I've added some PRO MAX parts to it for better adjustability.

At local car shows, including races (autocross/road course race events), it gathers lots of attention! It runs awesomely without any problems... practically like fuel injection... very responsive!!!!

The only thing that I don't care for... is that its a fairly heavy overall setup (small-block, used on my 410 stroker). The entire setup (including factory air cleaner, etc) weighs in at 60 pounds. In contrast, my Edlebrock LD340 and Holley 3310, and ~15" light-weight air cleaner, weighs half of that... at only 30 pounds total. SO... that's a difference of 30 pounds... extra weight up front for autocross-road course racing is not desirable... but.. I still kick-Axx and have a lot of crowd attention!

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE ABOUT THE OOH'S & AAH'S. But, re what others have.....to me, its similar to the people that show up at a car cruise, with a new. say Corvette or Dodge Charger Or Hellcat.....if I wanted to see a new car, I'd go to the respective dealer. I have 2 new vehicles, an Escalade and a Buick Envision complete with all their new toys.... I go to a car show to see the old iron....the survivors, the origional stuff, not current technology on old iron and the new stuff stays home....but this is just me....
BOB RENTON
I could not agree more Bob! The old iron, big engines with big pistons and long strokes make gross power the old fashion way. The new stuff is very cool as to how it works all the time in heat or cold but our old iron is truly what we want to see in a car show. The cookie cutter chrome and pully packages get boring to look at. Truly factory old school is what makes a car show.

i had the Promax base plate but the machining was not accurate and had trouble getting the butterflies to completely close and one of the metering screws would not allow me to accurately adjust. as for the ooh's and aah's, i like it but i am in a mopar deficient area and they just don't get it.

I could not agree more Bob! The old iron, big engines with big pistons and long strokes make gross power the old fashion way. The new stuff is very cool as to how it works all the time in heat or cold but our old iron is truly what we want to see in a car show. The cookie cutter chrome and pully packages get boring to look at. Truly factory old school is what makes a car show.

ABSOLUTELY.....nothing better than going down the road in the Escalade, at 75-80 MPH, A/C on with the XM radio blasting away, Valentine One standing guard, THM-E 9 speed in top gear, turning 1900 RPM, getting 18 MPG on 87 octane fuel, in complete comfort. While the old GTX, with its cam and 11.0 pistons getting 7-8 MPG with 93 octane + 3 gals of leaded race fuel, and 4.10 Dana going 53 MPH @ 2800 RPM, no A/C and AM only radio....but...when the carbs are open at 6000 RPM @ top of 3rd gear.....the feeling and sound is.....GREAT.... Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
i had the Promax base plate but the machining was not accurate and had trouble getting the butterflies to completely close and one of the metering screws would not allow me to accurately adjust. as for the ooh's and aah's, i like it but i am in a mopar deficient area and they just don't get it.
Did you get that rear plate closing issue squared away?
How did you do it?

Did you get that rear plate closing issue squared away?
How did you do it?

i did not. that piece is in the spare parts tote. bought 2 new base plates complete from Holley. i tried to get it squared away to enjoy the ease of adjusting rear carb. in the end, for me, it worked better to figure away to adjust a stock base plate, hence the making of the tool.

i did not. that piece is in the spare parts tote. bought 2 new base plates complete from Holley. i tried to get it squared away to enjoy the ease of adjusting rear carb. in the end, for me, it worked better to figure away to adjust a stock base plate, hence the making of the tool.

The stock baseplates are really simple to adjust. There is a small screw under of the bottom of the baseplate. It moves the throttle blade. I found that adjustment made a big difference in my 6 Pac carbs response.

The stock baseplates are really simple to adjust. There is a small screw under of the bottom of the baseplate. It moves the throttle blade. I found that adjustment made a big difference in my 6 Pac carbs response.

i have to ask, what small screw are you talking about? is this on the end carb or center carb base plate?

i have to ask, what small screw are you talking about? is this on the end carb or center carb base plate?

Sorry, stock end carb baseplates have the small screw under the baseplate. This will adjust the blade position at idle. A slight change can make a big difference in idle quality and transition response.
Pulling the plugs for the end carb mixture screws is important too, a small change 1/4 turn or so makes a really big change in the idle quality. In the '70's these changes were not widely known, which is why I could buy used 6 Pacs for such low prices at the time. Many stock 6 Paks did not run well on the street. Small changes made amazing improvement.

I have a setup provided by six pack solutions, I believe he is no longer selling this.
This was replacement mixture screw set that have a hex (allen) head and a tool that has a rounded head.
This easily reaches the rear carb mixture screws and works like a charm, I replaced the front also to make that even easier.
Pic shows all my original mixture screws.
Someone needs to start making this again!

T
20211015_101715.jpg

....bought 2 new base plates complete from Holley.

How was the quality of your new replacement base plates from Holley? I got a set to replace my original 69 carb plates. I was so disappointed in the quality. I'm still using the originals and set the new Holley plates in my spare Holley parts bin. This was probable 2010-ish

Auto Transport Service
Back