• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tunnel ram EFI Vs Regular 4 barrels

Najib

Local time
9:34 AM
Reaction score
So I’m down to the choice of a normal electric choke holly 600cfm dual carbs or dual efi carbs. Is it really worth spending the 2000$ to have the efi carbs? For any of you who did this have you experienced better gas milage and reliability and is it worth going the efi way?

Started with tunnel ram dual 390s, never a single carb, ran extremely well but rich, hesitation sometimes.
A few years later 600s, different animal, able to tune it better for whatever reason, not rich anymore, less of a hesitation, although very slight.

A few years later efi, a different species. Starts on the coldest day with a flick of the key. Cold starts, I turn the key on, then off, then on. TBs shoot a little gas when the pump is primed, and 2 shots with the tr help it fire.

The tbs have gigantic bores, and the fuel swirls in, can hear it when driving.
No hesitation whatsoever.
No more dealing with gasoline on my hands, and if the key isn't on no pressure in the lines, easy to change filter.
No more tuning, it's all controlled in cabin. Ditched my tach, temp gauge, it's on the controller, as well as a dozen other things. Timing control as well.
No return springs needed, incorporated into the tbs, what's up with that carbs?

I drive it everyday, always have, the efi is next level. I've never bothered with the mileage I'm getting, if you have a tr and are worried about mileage, sell it.

It will cost north of the initial 2k if you do it right. Tank, in-tank pump, ptfe lines, filter, regulator if it's not included, upgrade electrical, alternator, wiring, grounds, throttle cable, etc.

Like it says, go efi.

20180624_154851.jpg

So I’m down to the choice of a normal electric choke holly 600cfm dual carbs or dual efi carbs. Is it really worth spending the 2000$ to have the efi carbs? For any of you who did this have you experienced better gas milage and reliability and is it worth going the efi way?
I'm going to reply with a question to your question.... Are you really thinking of fuel economy, dual carbs & a tunnel ram?
Don't get me wrong tunnel rams are second only to blowers in cool factor, but not optimal for gas mileage on the street unless you plan on pulling 7 grand regularly which makes it a moot point.
As far as EFI goes I choose it for the tuning & cold start capabilities. I can't tell you how it drives as other than starting, idling & pulling in and out of the shop a couple of times, my experiences is very limited. Hopefully only for a few more weeks!

I'm going to reply with a question to your question.... Are you really thinking of fuel economy, dual carbs & a tunnel ram?
Don't get me wrong tunnel rams are second only to blowers in cool factor, but not optimal for gas mileage on the street unless you plan on pulling 7 grand regularly which makes it a moot point.
As far as EFI goes I choose it for the tuning & cold start capabilities. I can't tell you how it drives as other than starting, idling & pulling in and out of the shop a couple of times, my experiences is very limited. Hopefully only for a few more weeks!

No gas isn’t a problem for me but I just was very curious if EFI had better economy than a regular and I would probably guess yes

Started with tunnel ram dual 390s, never a single carb, ran extremely well but rich, hesitation sometimes.
A few years later 600s, different animal, able to tune it better for whatever reason, not rich anymore, less of a hesitation, although very slight.

A few years later efi, a different species. Starts on the coldest day with a flick of the key. Cold starts, I turn the key on, then off, then on. TBs shoot a little gas when the pump is primed, and 2 shots with the tr help it fire.

The tbs have gigantic bores, and the fuel swirls in, can hear it when driving.
No hesitation whatsoever.
No more dealing with gasoline on my hands, and if the key isn't on no pressure in the lines, easy to change filter.
No more tuning, it's all controlled in cabin. Ditched my tach, temp gauge, it's on the controller, as well as a dozen other things. Timing control as well.
No return springs needed, incorporated into the tbs, what's up with that carbs?

I drive it everyday, always have, the efi is next level. I've never bothered with the mileage I'm getting, if you have a tr and are worried about mileage, sell it.

It will cost north of the initial 2k if you do it right. Tank, in-tank pump, ptfe lines, filter, regulator if it's not included, upgrade electrical, alternator, wiring, grounds, throttle cable, etc.

Like it says, go efi.

View attachment 1179006

love the build I may end up sticking to regular carbs for my budged but maybe in the future efi carbs will be my go to

I am still a dual carb guy. As for EFI. Most all of the $2000-$3000 bolt on kits are junk. We dyno thousands of engines every year and they all have their issues. Between work and many of my buddies who spend countless of weeks trouble shooting and returning defective throttle bodies, ECU'S, O2's, harnesses etc. I know EFI is the way to go. Just don't have the funds for a Motec or Bosch system.

IMG_8666.jpg IMG_8664.jpg

Last edited:
I am still a dual carb guy. As for EFI. Most all of the $2000-$3000 bolt on kits are junk. We dyno thousands of engines every year and they all have there issues. Between work and many of my buddies who spend countless of weeks trouble shooting and returning defective throttle bodies, ECU'S, O2's, harnesses etc. I know EFI is the way to go. Just don't have the funds for a Motec or Bosch system.

View attachment 1179105 View attachment 1179106

Why do you say tHey are all junk? So many people are sooo happy with the Holley sniper for example and they’re into it for $1500 - 2000 done and said. I’m about to do it. Had enough with poor starts, and jetting etc…

I order for you to dyno ‘thousands’ of motors every year you’d have to do a minimum 6 per day for every day (365) of the year?

Why do you say tHey are all junk? So many people are sooo happy with the Holley sniper for example and they’re into it for $1500 - 2000 done and said. I’m about to do it. Had enough with poor starts, and jetting etc…

I order for you to dyno ‘thousands’ of motors every year you’d have to do a minimum 6 per day for every day (365) of the year?

Yes, we have 32 different cells going around the clock with 3 shifts. So, yes we do test, beat and abuse many engines as needed or required.
When the EFI work they are great, but all have many components that are sub standard and fail regularly.

Yes, we have 32 different cells going around the clock with 3 shifts. So, yes we do test, beat and abuse many engines as needed or required.
When the EFI work they are great, but all have many components that are sub standard and fail regularly.

What business is it/do you have or work at? This would be something to see! Does a ‘cell’ mean a dyno set up? Forgive my ignorance on the best terms to use. So I’m imagining 32 Dyno’s under one roof! Wow. Is this for new car production?

What business is it/do you have or work at? This would be something to see! Does a ‘cell’ mean a dyno set up? Forgive my ignorance on the best terms to use. So I’m imagining 32 Dyno’s under one roof! Wow. Is this for new car production?
Yes, 32 different rooms with dyno's. Some are for prototype, some are top secret projects, some are production improvements and durability, some are for hot and/or extreme cold testing. Others are for many different custom racing applications.

Yes, 32 different rooms with dyno's. Some are for prototype, some are top secret projects, some are production improvements and durability, some are for hot and/or extreme cold testing. Others are for many different custom racing applications.

Sounds like you are working with stuff that may not have the typical off the shelf EFI offerings that us commoners have access too. Of all the fi-tech, sniper, msd etc FI products out there which one do you recommend for performance and longevity etc? I’m looking at a sniper with the tank and I take pump etc…

Sounds like you are working with stuff that may not have the typical off the shelf EFI offerings that us commoners have access too. Of all the fi-tech, sniper, msd etc FI products out there which one do you recommend for performance and longevity etc? I’m looking at a sniper with the tank and I take pump etc…
Sniper is probably the best kit out there. FAST is okay. MSD, Fitech and others will get the job done as well. I plan on probably switching to EFI and dry NOS kits as well someday.

Auto Transport Service
Back