• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn the key and nothing happens..... HELP

Does it turn over smoothly or haltingly, like it wants to stop at each cylinder firing? Too much advance? Could that be the noise? Rene'

Where does the noise come from? Accessory drive? Behind the water pump? Lifter valley?
Is it possible that the distributor's drive gear came up with the dist. and went back in a tooth or two off? With #1 at 2:00 that's kinda what it looks like to me, although it shouldn't really make a difference if the firing order is correct.

Could you get us a recording of the noise? Could the starter be making the noise?

one of my friends is coming over to help me find out where its coming from.
Im not sure, I guess anything is possible, but I feel like that probably didnt happen. But again, who knows

- - - Updated - - -

When my friend comes over ill put a video up.

- - - Updated - - -

To me it sounded like it was from the front of the engine by the fan/fuel pump/ water pump area.

Are you using the key to start the car? Or the remote trigger? you can use the remote trigger which may help diagnose the sound. Remember, just make sure the key is in the "on" position and you can use the remote trigger.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd personally like to see a video of you doing a big smokey burnout down the street.

h89CD578B[1].jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Are all the belts on properly?

- - - Updated - - -

To me it sounded like it was from the front of the engine by the fan/fuel pump/ water pump area.[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

Double check the area around the belts and fan and make sure nothing might have fallen in that area. Screw driver, wrench, flash light, etc.

Okay its not the fan, its still backfiring out of thr carb. Thats what's making the noise

Is the choke plate on top of the carb open or closed?

What would happen if something, say a nut or screw or something like that fell into the u shaped passage over the crossover passage on the head? Cuz that could have happened. ....

That passage goes nowhere...I have dropped stuff down mine in the past, and it just sits in the cavity. Like was said above, it could just be lifter noise...they make a racket if they are not pumped up with oil. Also check for loose tools around your crankshaft pulleys, alternator and the like. If that engine fires, you'll find the tools real easy....embedded in the ceiling or worse.

Have you checked and double-checked the plug rotation on the cap - if you have for example 3 and 8 mixed up the engine will sound like it wants to go, but will chuff and spit etc. Maybe use some masking tape to mark each plug lead at the cap end to make sure.

Clack Clack clack? Tick tick tick? Kaboom? Ding dong? Crickets?
I'd personally like to see a video of you doing a big smokey burnout down the street.

Have patience Grasshopper...

5fbff99d.jpg

:yes:

As Kiwi stated, double check those plug wires again. Make sure you understand which way the distributor is spinning (clockwise) in relation to that diagram posted in #195(?). This has to be the issue. Where's Otherguy at?

Ok, so if the #1 plug wire is in the 2 oclock position on the new dizzy, then moving in a clockwise rotation, next should be #8, then #4.

All the plug wires had to be moved on the dizzy in relation to us repositioning the #1 wire to the 2 oclock position. Was this done?

omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its so close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here ya go....double check those leads again ***forget about where the No.1 shows in the drawing - just follow the rotation exactly

smallblockv8engine_zpscb03bce0.jpg

Exactly, if #1 is in the 2 oclock position, then #8 should be roughly between 3-4 oclock, #4 should be about 5 oclock position and so forth going clockwise.

here ya go....double check those leads again ***forget about where the No.1 shows in the drawing - just follow the rotation exactly

smallblockv8engine_zpscb03bce0.jpg

Okay what the heck, I tested spark and I'm getting good spark
When I was checking for tdc the rotor was in between two wires. I turned the dist so that it lined up with one. I have moved it a little bit sense then, does it matter?

Auto Transport Service
Back