• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

two speed wipers only work at one speed, FAST

bobbio

Local time
3:45 PM
Reaction score
67 Satellite, pretty sure my wipers are supposed to be two speed. While enduring the monsoon on Friday at Carlise this year I had to use my wipers for the first time and then got caught again yesterday in the rain. Like most of us, I usually avoid rain at alll costs. When I rotate the switch the only speed I can get is fast even though it feels like a three position switch. Thinking I need a new switch I looked all over at the show on Saturday but could not find a replacement switch. I learned later that day that apparently 67 satellites are a one off switch. Any truth to that?

Whether or not I find a switch which isn't looking too promising, does anyone have any advice on how to trouble shoot this little problem. Maybe I don't need a switch. Everything else electrically seems to work OK, this is my only bug now.

Thanks for any help.

pic of wiper motor would help here...

also, how many "clicks" does switch make from the far left position?

It makes two clicks when I rotate it counter clockwise.

See the pic of the motor.

Thanks,

Attachments

• wiper motor pic.jpg
    wiper motor pic.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 168
That looks like a 3 speed motor to me. They lay sidways on the firewall and the 2 speeds the motor sticks out into the engine compartment. That is why multicarb cars had a manditory option for the 3 speeds so it did not hit the air cleaners of these cars.

These 66-67 wiper motors are a little different from the 68 on up. My 66 Bel has a variable speed control. The actual wiper switch is like a rheostat similar to the dimmer for the dash lights. Your issue may be a broken resistor coil in the switch.

the 66-67 variable speed wiper motors are the same as the 68 & up 3-speed ones...the 2 speed motors are completely different in style...those have a resistor mounted to them....

sounds like you have a 2 speed switch and a 3 speed motor....ain't ever gonna work correctly with that combination.

Auto Transport Service
Back