• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uh oh. Camaro sales are in trouble.

I was curious too. Data off Edmunds, base v8 cars:

Camaro 3,685#
Mustang 3,730#
Challenger 4,182#

https://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=401898679&veh2=401880881&veh3=401903920

Yeah the curb weights I see for the modern challenger are up to around 4400lbs, which is very heavy and hurts you in corners. Camaro and Mustang are much better on a road course if you are into that. My friend is a member of a local track in TX called eagles canyon running a late model vette and I did my first 4 wheeled track day there (did plenty of race/track days on motorcycles but never in a car) which got me interested in getting a track car. Cant justify buying a camaro/mustang so I'm just sticking with two wheeled stuff for track and old iron for the street. Challengers are just not competitive unfortunately.

Now would be a really good time to release a real T/A at the end of the model run but I guess they have to stick with what sells these cars, which is the drag strip.

At the 2019 Mecum Harrisburg I took the Dodge Thrill Ride. I told the driver I had the 1963 version of the car. I did the ride with a grin all the way thru. I told the driver that I would be back. Then before I left I did it again with the same driver. He did it faster than the first time. "That was a good one!" I looked at him, he said it was because I knew what to expect! Then at the 2020 Carlisle Chrysler show I did it again. I told the driver that I had the ride at Harrisburg and that I had the 1963 version and that it was scary fast and I said "Let's put this honey on it's roof"! "I don't think we'll do that"! He did everything but! I screamed like a little girl thru the whole ride!

At the 2019 Mecum Harrisburg I took the Dodge Thrill Ride. I told the driver I had the 1963 version of the car. I did the ride with a grin all the way thru. I told the driver that I would be back. Then before I left I did it again with the same driver. He did it faster than the first time. "That was a good one!" I looked at him, he said it was because I knew what to expect! Then at the 2020 Carlisle Chrysler show I did it again. I told the driver that I had the ride at Harrisburg and that I had the 1963 version and that it was scary fast and I said "Let's put this honey on it's roof"! "I don't think we'll do that"! He did everything but! I screamed like a little girl thru the whole ride!
Was the ride recorded on video?

In my opinion the last good looking camaro was the 69, all the rest I never cared for.
I’ve never liked the 67-69 Camaro, but I would take a 70 1/2 split bumper over a Mopar E body

The styling of these cars seems to be the problem. They run fast and handle well but look terrible.
Its is if the designers are saying to potential buyers....F**K you, BUY it anyway!"
GM has built some really nice looking cars but for some strange reason, they seem to be trying to invent trends rather than to join them.
The Chevy/GMC trucks went fully futuristic this last design cycle. They look so far out of normal, there is no appearance of evolution from any previous designs. They look like a bullfrog mated with a Toyota Tundra. The front end is blunt and unattractive.
The Camaro looks heavily influenced by the Japanese Tuner crowd. Sharp angles, deep spoilers, fake grilles and such....All it is missing is wheels with 10 degrees of negative camber to complete the look.

I think the best looking GM's over the years were the Pontiacs and Oldmobile's. Ironically they were scraped. :screwy:

images (9).jpeg
2022-Chevrolet-Camaro-ZL1-1LE-Rapid-Blue-GMO-002-1024x495.jpg
2022-Chevrolet-Camaro-ZL1-1LE-Rapid-Blue-GMO-004-1024x324.jpg
2022-Chevrolet-Camaro-ZL1-1LE-Rapid-Blue-GMO-003-1024x597.jpg

Looks ok to me, but not particularly exciting; and the spoiler does just that...spoils the looks. :p

Why do they insist on prominently displaying that bow tie thing. It's not needed...even your nearsighted grandmother can tell what car it is from half a mile on a rainy day.

Around here (Savannah, GA. area) a Camaro is a rare sight. Mustangs and Challengers are all over the place and probably in equal numbers. The higher end performance Mustangs are soundly outnumbered by Challenger R/T & Scat Packs. Also, I probably see more Challenger Widebody R/T Scat Packs than the high end performance Mustangs.

Oddly, I can think of only 2 shaker package Challengers. One in Savannah around 5 years ago and one across the river in South Carolina on a dealership new car lot. It was a wide body to boot.
IMG_20210515_105719468_HDR.jpg

Why do they insist on prominently displaying that bow tie thing. It's not needed...even your nearsighted grandmother can tell what car it is from half a mile on a rainy day.

I don’t know, it looks like a Camry and a few others. I don’t like it. I think the LT1 version looks better.

Auto Transport Service
Back