• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under-dash pictures of 68-70 B body Pwr brake linkage PLEASE!

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:43 AM
Reaction score
I'm dealing with substandard braking in my 70 Charger. I have 12" Cordoba rotors, 2.75" calipers, 11" Dr Diff rear discs and a 75 Dart power booster and 15/16" master cylinder. I've tried 4 different master cylinders, tried switching to a manual master cylinder setup, tried different calipers up front, different brake pads....The car stops but isn't as good as a friends 73 Duster disc/drum setup.
It seems that the only constant is the A body booster. I know that with the lighter A body cars, the pedal ratio is likely lower than a stock B body. The unit I have has a standoff bracket that has the reduction linkage under the hood, easy to see. I'm considering a switch to a stock type B body setup. From what I understand, The 68-70 b booster bolts directly to the firewall with linkage under the dash. I've seen the pictures of the setup laying on a bench but can't wrap my head around how it works as installed and in place. A few pictures would really help!
Please!

I did find a picture.

Attachments

• brake linkage.jpg
    brake linkage.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 216
On the occasions where we changed front manual drum to power disc, we always used the parts supplied in the kit if the owner purchased it that way... or, a booster/ master cyl setup from the SAME body. I can't comment on mixing, cause I never did it that way. Matter of fact I did just that on my current car, using a swap meet setup from a Charger, with the disc setup you have. With the big drums in back, this car stops on a dime, with change to spare !

I have the same discs up front with the smaller rear discs and the b-body power disc brake master and booster and it works like a new car. Go with the kit from Piratejacks. If you still have you 1 1/8 master cylinder use that and just buy the booster and linkage kit.

http://www.piratejack.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=49&Itemid=6

Great idea. Thats JUST the advice that I needed. The 1 1/8" master I have on the shelf is from a "Master Power" rear disc conversion kit. A buddy decided to go with an aluminum MC and gave me the 1 1/8" unit. It has large, wide reserviors. Should provide plenty of volume for 4 calipers.

I would get the dual diaphragm Bendix style booster and the linkage, too You'll notice the proper firewall plate comes with that kit. Make sure you have plenty of vacuum and do a good bench bleed of the master cylinder and then the brake lines. It should stop like a new car.

Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back