• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unplanned outing with the roadrunner

68 HEMI GTS

Local time
12:04 PM
Reaction score
Some friends of mine “twisted axle car club” of Detroit did a track rental at ubly dragway in the thumb of michigan a few weeks back. I had planned to run my dads 69 Dart (that I’ve been trying to get sorted out for him). Right before I was going to load the car I realized the front coil over shock was leaking. Well since I had already paid and had a few close friends going I loaded up the ole roadrunner and made a few hits with it instead. Wasn’t sure how they would be as the car has no safety equipment but they seemed cool with it for the track rental anyway. The converter in the car currently is a little tight (a tenth slow from the one it likes) I ran the car through the mufflers with the drag radials I run on the street. All in all I was pretty happy. The rear leaf springs are shot, it needs some work before I run it again. My buddy was running his low deck 400/499 TF headed dart. He picked up about 3 tenths when he dropped his 3”
Exhaust so I figure the roadrunner would be similar. My other friend had his pump gas 440 powered 67 Belvedere out. It was running 11.30’s. In good air ( he raced hit a lot this year )it goes 11.20’s. Fun day with friends and met some new ones as well.

For those not familiar with my combo. This is my street car. It gets driven. Hence why I don’t want to add a roll bar. Runs just fine on pump premium, I pull the valve covers once a year whether it needs it or not, and the car is extremely low maint. Well for now until I put the 4 speed back in….

400/512 10.5:1
260/266 SFT .630 lift on 110
Indy SR heads (inbetween stock and MW port window)
4.10 gear
Had a mechanical
Six pack on it that day, although I have no track data a M/W Indy intake and 1050 dominator would be the combo to beat.
Car is 4000# with me at the wheel.

CCBDE820-5D15-477D-8D13-5B0F78580F33.jpeg
600EBC71-9FE5-46D3-9E0B-ADA8E959BEFC.jpeg
3EB84A6A-B3F1-4A11-87A6-CC2F35AEE5FD.jpeg
76D753B8-9FC5-422C-BB30-55400CE30D2C.jpeg

Last edited:
Some friends of mine “twisted axle car club” of Detroit did a track rental at ubly dragway in the thumb of michigan a few weeks back. I had planned to run my dads 69 Dart (that I’ve been trying to get sorted out for him). Right before I was going to load the car I realized the front coil over shock was leaking. Well since I had already paid and had a few close friends going I loaded up the ole roadrunner and made a few hits with it instead. Wasn’t sure how they would be as the car has no safety equipment but they seemed cool with it for the track rental anyway. The converter in the car currently is a little tight (a tenth slow from the one it likes) I ran the car through the mufflers with the drag radials I run on the street. All in all I was pretty happy. The rear leaf springs are shot, it needs some work before I run it again. My buddy was running his low deck 400/499 TF headed dart. He picked up about 3 tenths when he dropped his 3”
Exhaust so I figure the roadrunner would be similar. My other friend had his pump gas 440 powered 67 Belvedere out. It was running 11.30’s. In good air ( he raced hit a lot this year )it goes 11.20’s. Fun day with friends and met some new ones as well.

For those not familiar with my combo. This is my street car. It gets driven. Hence why I don’t want to add a roll bar. Runs just fine on pump premium, I pull the valve covers once a year whether it needs it or not, and the car is extremely low maint. Well for now until I put the 4 speed back in….

4.10 gear
Had a mechanical
Six pack on it that day, although I have no track data a M/W Indy intake and 1050 dominator would be the combo to beat.

View attachment 1350741View attachment 1350736View attachment 1350740View attachment 1350742

1664594290845.jpeg

Man i haven't been to Ubly in like 15 years, i'm glad it's still there and going.. I wish i could race :( only thing i ever wanted to do in life :) nice car btw!

Man i haven't been to Ubly in like 15 years, i'm glad it's still there and going.. I wish i could race :( only thing i ever wanted to do in life :) nice car btw!

It was my first time there, to be honest i was initially scared to make a full 1/4 mile hit. Shut down area was rough, short, and ended with a corn field. You could see the 1/8 is the normal Program and probably for good reason. It was a cool place though, like stepping back in time. I would definatly run there more often if it was a shorter drive.

It was my first time there, to be honest i was initially scared to make a full 1/4 mile hit. Shut down area was rough, short, and ended with a corn field. You could see the 1/8 is the normal Program and probably for good reason. It was a cool place though, like stepping back in time. I would definatly run there more often if it was a shorter drive.
Yeah, i live in macomb and every track is at least a hour+ away :( My last time at Ubly was in a 99vette just running 11's.. low 10's there would be scary :)
BTW.. i guess they redid Lapeer a few years ago, supposed to be really nice now.. even paved the pit area.

One day i hope to race in the 62 if money comes around.. just trying to scrounge up a usable small block driver motor for now :)

The track owner at Ubly is a great guy. Very racer oriented. Looks like a good time. My best times this year were there. Track hooked better than any place I've been. Including NMCA Indy. Though my car is to quick to run 1/4 there not enough shutdown. Went 5.64 there.
Doug

Don’t know what the total was, I only had to pay $40 which I thought was a deal. I could have made 30 passes if I wanted.
that's a damn good deal.. better than going on a sunday and paying $30 to get 2-3 runs in

4.10 gear
Had a mechanical

View attachment 1350741View attachment 1350736View attachment 1350740View attachment 1350742

Love that track, it ain't the biggest, fanciest, but I really love going to that track.

I think this weekend is there mopars against the world race.

your 6bbl RR looks & runs great
impressive

thanks for sharing

More info on the move from 3" to 2.5" exhaust and picking up .3 please.

Wow, I put 3" inch on mine, I'll have to try it both ways.

My buddies dart ran about the same ET’s as the roadrunner through his 3” exhaust. When we uncapped it, it picked up .3 tenths.
I misted your post, too late, I was probably typing & posting mine...

Thanks for the clarifications, I figured as much

Auto Transport Service
Back