• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unplugging air bleeds?

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:08 PM
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm trying to resurrect a Holley 2210 2 Bbl.. One of the air bleeds is plugged with something and I've tried some mild acids. This is after 24Hrs. in my commercial carb cleaner. I can't get any compressed air through it either. I cut up another carb to see how it was built and found a nail-shaped 1 1/4" long piece with a very small ( maybe .015" ) hole drilled straight down through the center of the "nail" head. It was 1/4" deep and was intersected by a similar sized hole sideways through the shank of the "nail". It appears the "nail" hangs by the "head" on a ledge in the cast well and is retained by a slug of brass (with orifice ) pressed in the well. These systems meter air flow into the main wells feeding the booster nozzles. I may be able to remove the "slug" and mechanically clean "whatever" out but, I am still thinking about chemical cleaning. Have any of you fellas got experience to share? Thanks.
Mike

Mild acid is the best way as you've been trying....be very, very patient. I've had the best luck with oxalic acid.

Almost forgot, before the acid you might try different types of paint thinners. None of these will hurt metal at all, but likely will damage any plastic pieces. Try all of these.
a. toluene or xylene
b. Mineral spirits
c. acetone
d. MEK (methyl ethyl ketone)
e. 92% isopropyl alcohol (IPA-rubbing alcohol)

Thanks guys. I've got all those in the garage-I'll go down the list!
Mike

Have you tried running wire, about that size into it. I've had to go that route before, and cleared the port.

Have you tried running wire, about that size into it. I've had to go that route before, and cleared the port.

First thing I did after soaking and discovering it was plugged.
Mike

Well, I tried acid to no avail so out came the drill. I went down into what I thought was the "slug" holding the "nail" in place. I stopped at the bottom, at the restriction hole and then drilled two 1/16" hole on a 45* angle into the edge of the slug. I then stuck a pick in the drilled hole and was able to easily rotate the slug, took the main body and slammed it upside down on the bench and there was the nail! I found this well restriction to be one piece aluminum where as the newer model was two pieces. After cleaning I dropped in the nail and epoxied in one of the slug pieces, after drilling out it's orifice larger than the restriction in the nail piece. All fixed!
Mike

Do you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner? Mild solvents that also " vibrate" for a lack of better term.... We used them in the microchip industry to clean some pretty intricate parts, but I have seen similar cleaners in other types of shops...
Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back