• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upper Control Arm Bushings

1moreproject

Local time
7:48 AM
Reaction score
My first post, I probably have more questions than answers, but will try to contribute when I can. I have some NOS upper control arm bushings that I’m debating on whether to use or not. I know they’ve been on the shelf for at least 25 years and probably more like 30. The rubber still feels fairly pliable but I’m wondering if it’s worth the risk since the rubber is bound to have aged in that time. Does this rubber dry up like weatherstrip, etc.? If I go with new I’m leaning toward poly bushings since it seems that poly would be less likely to age like rubber. Is there any downside to poly or is it considered better all the way around? I’m not looking for any major performance enhancement, just want to install something that will last.

Welcome to the site....the poly bushings are harder so you will feel and hear a bit more vibration and noise....but the old rubber is probably just as good as the junk we buy today lol

Yeah, welcome aboard. I don't have much experience with ploy so I tend to stick with MOOG stuff because it always seems to work. The factory uses it and they have to warranty the cars for several years so it can't be too bad.

I suppose it depends how the old bushings were stored. In their box out of the sun they are probably a safe bet.

It's been years since I last worked on a Mopar, but I don't recall ever seeing this sleeve: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopa...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
When/why was it used?
If you look at the upper arm, there's really not a lot of beef where the bushings fit. These add rigidity. I'm not sure of the rhyme or reason, but I've seen these on some cars & not on others. Actually, we never bought one, if they were on the car, we just cleaned 'em up and re-pressed the bushings.

Just to add to the previous post..,.there is no sleeve as illustrated on e-bay used on Early mopar A-arms...just a scam...

Splicer

1more

I'd say if the NOS bushings were in a bag or packaging, they'd be fine. Like others said, even if not, as long as nature wasn't getting to them...

I did polys last year on my 68 GTS. They were tuff to get in (we trashed one when pressing it in....ARG!), and honestly, the front end was so bad, that I cant comment on what the difference would be if I had used Moog or other versus poly.

I did new poly bushings, oversize torsion bars & Hellwig in front and rear, KYB Gas shocks, as well as doing the leaf spring bushings in the rear. It goes straight as an arrow (now) and was worth the blood, sweat and tears.....

Get an alignment done...your caster/camber numbers will be messed up....

Just my .02

Good luck

PK

Auto Transport Service
Back