• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using a 67 727 in a 73 Any negatives?

adk-roadrunner

Local time
12:32 PM
Reaction score
I'll be swapping my 440 into my 73 Roadrunner this spring. I was thinking about going 4 speed but a mopar buddy of mine talked me into just staying auto as I got a trans with the 440 I rebuilt. He said you just can't beat a crisp shifting auto lol and also think about what else you can spend $5000.00 on lol. He had me buy a rebuild kit, new rigid bands and a transgo tf2 shift kit. He's rebuilt a bunch of these 727's and said he would walk me through it. The trans I have was out of a 67 383 Chrysler new Yorker. My question is what are the negatives to using a pre 71 727 for my 73? I've read about a few of the differences. I saw that the neutral safety switch is different on the older models. What will I have to do to overcome that difference? Thanks guy's in advance.

No part throttle kick down may be a negative for you.That's about it. You can swap in a 73-up valve body.
That would give you the part throttle kick down and a 3 prong neutral safety switch.
Sounds like you guy knows Torque Flights so he will know all about this.

I have upgraded the 727 in my 1967 R/T with part throttle downshift valve body from newer trans. It works really nice. I also adapted my '67 shifter handle to a 'Cuda slap shifter mechanism and installed it in my console.

The only other area is the 71 and up has a wide bushing drum/stator support. In a street car even with some strip use I wouldn't sweat it. The TF 2 shift kit is good. Rake sure it has a4 clutch front drum. I have some if its a 3 clutch. Reducing the weight of the inner and outer governor weights will allow higher RPM upshifts in drive.
Doug

Be sure about the shift kit before doing it. Some people really love them, some not so much. Not so easy to un-do. Also read up carefully on the differences between different choices. I bought the tf-2 and ultimately it’s sitting on a shelf. Kinda happy with factory at the moment. I had put one in another car years ago and felt it was a bit more than I wanted.

What do you have for a torque converter?

will a 79 valve body fit into my 67 trans? I believe I have access to a good 79 valve body if it will work.

will a 79 valve body fit into my 67 trans? I believe I have access to a good 79 valve body if it will work.
I think this transmission might have lock-up torque converter. If it is, the splines on the input shaft do not go all the way to the tip of the shaft. Input shaft also is drilled for fluid supply to converter clutch. Valve body would have a metal tube on it. If this is the case, it will not interchange. It will physically bolt on, but will not work right.

I think this transmission might have lock-up torque converter. If it is, the splines on the input shaft do not go all the way to the tip of the shaft. Input shaft also is drilled for fluid supply to converter clutch. Valve body would have a metal tube on it. If this is the case, it will not interchange. It will physically bolt on, but will not work right.
ok so if it has the tube on it its a no go? it definitely does have the tube. That's a shame the 79 valve body is unused NOS

Be sure about the shift kit before doing it. Some people really love them, some not so much. Not so easy to un-do. Also read up carefully on the differences between different choices. I bought the tf-2 and ultimately it’s sitting on a shelf. Kinda happy with factory at the moment. I had put one in another car years ago and felt it was a bit more than I wanted.
Don't use the blocker rod under the accumuator. Just leave the spring out. Blocking the accumulator up makes for some harsh part throttle shifts around town.

If the '73 is console shift, the '67 trans might not have the "bumps" under the tail housing to mount the shifter bracket.

If the '73 is console shift, the '67 trans might not have the "bumps" under the tail housing to mount the shifter bracket.
Oh no not another setback lol. What do these bumps look like? Anyone have any pics of said bumps? My car is definitely a console shift with the slap shift.

Are these the bumps you're referring to? I drew a circle around them on a picture I found online. If so I'll look when I get home after work.

Screenshot_20210218-152741_Chrome.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back