• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve options for bare Performer RPM heads?

wsutard

Local time
4:43 PM
Reaction score
My bare Performer RPM heads will be here shortly so I’m starting to put together a parts list.

The question of the moment is my valve choice. I have found three options in the 11/32” size.
Edelbrock - $139
Hughes - $105
440 Source - $80

Is there any difference here? They all say 21-4N stainless.

Any other options?

Seems like going with the Hughes or 440 would be the thing to do.

Opinions?

I’m going to have my local machine shop do some port work on the heads to clean them up and get more low and mid cycle air flow.

I will also be going with a Comp XE285HL cam and their recommended Comp springs. If that matters.

I would definitely go with the edde valves, whats another 2 bucks per valve to get the correct and better valves. just my opinion

I would ask your machine shop their recommendation, based on the engines intended use. Are these heads going to be used on a mild street engine, aggressive high output engine...get the best valves for the application do some reading there's a lot of good info to help you choice the best valve for the job. good luck http://manleyperformance.com/

Check with the machine shop. My cylinder head guy has got me some good deals on Manley severe duty valves and PAC valve springs. Less than if I bought the parts.

Good thoughts all. This is just going to be a 500hp/tq street 440. Nothing radical. 10/1 CR.

I was hoping to give the machine shop the parts all at once but now that I think about it they are a month backed up on their valve work.

If I bought 440 Source heads I would go ahead and use their valves. But I would not by those valves to put in an Edelbrock head, there is a good reason they are less expensive. The Edelbrock RPM valves have been a good quality valve in the past.

Looks like Manley doesn’t make a valve for a eddy 440 head. They don’t have the 11/32 stem.

Based on feedback looks like I’m going to stick with the Eddy valve.

Good call. Remember they can all have the same grade of steel but that's not the whole story..

Auto Transport Service
Back