• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve Stem Caps (not so simple anymore)

Dibbons

Local time
12:18 PM
Reaction score
We have six vehicles now which accounts for no less than 24 valve stem caps. The plastic ones these days keep disappearing. I know one that has split but stays on anyway. Not sure if they fall off or someone is not putting them back on.

I thought I would splurge and purchase metal caps. First reviews (one star) of the aluminum variety had a slew of nightmarish stories where the caps fused to the threads of the valves and would not come off without cutting (the sales page on Amazon recommends greasing the threads before installation). Then I read a review of the brass variety and found the same complaint of the cap fusing to the threads.

Just another of those "simple" fixes that ends up turning into a can of worms. Might just stick with the plastic ones after all (and have to keep an extra supply of 'em on hand).

Back in the '70's I don't remember finding any valve stem caps "failing" even if they were plastic.

I just use the plastic ones myself. Tried and true IMO.

I had a plastic cap seize on my tractor and with the help of a set of pliers, I twisted the brass nipple right out of the rubber sleeve. At that point a stream of beet juice came gushing out! Somehow I got the brass nipple back in the rubber. I called the local mobile tire guy and he stopped over and installed solid brass valve stems. Problem solved. He told me the beet juice "eats" rubber and caused my trouble. So, chloride eats the steel wheel but, beet juice eats the tire/valve stems. Pick your poison?
Mike

I haven't changed out this car, but, this is what I put on all my cars. 4pcs Stealth Flush Mount tire stems. I buy my wheels from summit, tires mounted.

1669468872851.png

1669469486161.png

Hi, these valve stem caps are of the highest quality. They are made of brass with a beautiful rubber seal on the inside. They are aircraft wheel and tire Assembly valve stem caps. I have had a set of these on my truck for literally years. Now the yellow color is not for everyone but a Scotch-Brite pad on a high-speed grinder and you can remove the yellow paint and it is then all brass looking. It tarnishes and looks very non-visible. Or you can just paint them black and there you have the look of the original ones. This is just an option I’ve used.

Good Luck,
Steve
Azmoparboy

7AC0EBE1-773C-4A92-9B2F-7080DF45AAA0.jpeg

My issues is caps for TPMS valve stems. Plastic caps are flared to cover the shoulder. Metal caps are not typically flared and don't cover the shoulder leaving it exposed.

Stainless steel with an o-ring seal, they don’t corrode or split. The o-ring seal prevents pressure loss if the valve core leaks. I would buy them by the hundreds when I ran a fleet shop.

image.jpg

I just use plastic caps....the free ones you find near air pumps at gas stations (seriously)

There seem to be several quality levels of plastic caps these days.

The lowest ones are super easy to cross thread.

I've not noticed any "lip" on my factory Mopar TPMS stems and any cap seems to work, however, the plastic ones that came with them were high quality.

The problem with "fancy" metal caps is that folks can't seem to help themselves not to steal them.

...and then there's "dissimilar" metals.

Last edited:
My cars usually get metal stems (after a certain speed, nhra rules require them) and they come with metal caps. I've never had any problems with them, but weather extremes here are heat, not cold.

I just dolled up fifty .45 brass centerfire casings in 12 colors for a customer who makes them into valve stem caps. I don't know what he uses for inserts but he sold out the same day they arrived at his place.
20221128_150706.jpg

20221128_150500.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back