• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

valve stem length 440

69 mayflower

Local time
3:56 PM
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the valve stem length measurement as measured from the valve spring seat of the head to the tip of the valve. With the valve in the closed position. The service manual says to use tool c-3648. I don't have one of those tools nor had any luck finding one. These are '67 915 heads, all stock set up.. Short of having the tool, does anyone know what the measurement is between these two points?

Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming that as long as the valve length falls in between these two measurements then the safe operating length is assured?

Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming that as long as the valve length falls in between these two measurements then the safe operating length is assured?

Yes that is the theory anyway, because the intent of the spec is to provide correct Lifter preload.

Factors that can affect lifter preload are excessive Block/Head milling, or anything else ie: even switching from the factory steel shim Head gasket(.022" Thick) to Composition style Head Gaskets(most ~.040" thick), although the lifters are usually very forgiving with a wide preload range that will work.

Thanks guys, That is exactly the information I needed and the reason that I wanted it. Just checking everything off and leaving nothing to chance.

Auto Transport Service
Back