• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vapor lock be gone, fuel system overhaul.

747mopar

Local time
1:14 AM
Reaction score
After trying phenolic spacers and insulating the fuel lines with some degree of success I've decided to throw everything at the problem. I'll try to post everything and check back once I start putting some miles on it for those who are having the same issues.

As of right now my car does pretty good most of the time but not by any means satisfactory. Prolonged traffic stops result in spitting and sputtering shortly after getting underway and there's times that it takes excessive cranking to fill the float bowl back up, this should fix everything.

First off here's why I went with the Tanks Inc tank vs just modding a tank, the baffling is pretty impressive! there's literally a sizeable tub that the pump sits in then a baffle just behind it, absolutely no way your starving the pump on acceleration.
IMG_20230513_094719832_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230513_094727330_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230513_094758794_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230513_094830137_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230513_094845759.jpg
IMG_20230513_093756708_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Putting the pump and sending unit assembly together are pretty straight forward using the instructions. Only advice I'd add to it is this pump is a tight fit, tight enough that it matters how you install the supplied zip ties as shown in the pictures. Same goes for the sending unit, unless you really trim all the excess float arm off it isn't going in the hole. I tested the sending unit for accuracy before installing it in the tank, looks perfect.:thumbsup:

IMG_20230513_102720445_HDR.jpg

Made in the USA!

IMG_20230513_101648685_HDR.jpg

Zip ties need to end on the sides for easy install.

IMG_20230513_103131033_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230519_210904998_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Parts run to Summit yesterday, should be set now! I was going to hard-line the fuel lines until I got under there and realized it was impossible to run them the way I wanted without splices so braided hose it is. Never used this type of hose until now but really like it, easy to work with and looks better than the braided stainless to me.
IMG_20230520_195400014.jpg
IMG_20230520_201153038_HDR.jpg

Nothing to add other than that type of braided line is a lot easier to work with than stainless braided line...

If you have not done it yet, get the intake valley pan with the blocked off heat riser ports. Keeps the intake cooler which keeps carb cooler.

If you have not done it yet, get the intake valley pan with the blocked off heat riser ports. Keeps the intake cooler which keeps carb cooler.
Already addressed that when I built the motor but couldn't agree more, I block them off on everything I build.

Gotta love the brackets provided, don't know how they expect you to bolt this to anything? Made a little aluminum bracket bolted to the firewall will rivet nuts.
IMG_20230522_181501572_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230522_183956317_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230522_183531172_HDR.jpg

I'll post some useful info (a link) and the instructions here so anyone that's curious can see how simple it is to setup. When ordering the correct pump for a carburated engine it's important to read and look a the flow charts, EFI operates at higher pressures, the higher the pressure requirements the lower the gph. In simple terms these pumps create a lot more flow at 5-7psi.

Choosing the Correct Fuel PumpChoosing the Correct Fuel Pump

Screenshot_20230524-140816~2.png
Screenshot_20230524-140936~2.png

I like the size of the fuel basket they put in there. The pictures on their site are deceiving.

Took a break to chaperone my boys Washington DC trip but back at it. Hit 1 little snag, even though I took careful notes on what all I needed I still had to order 1 more fitting. After mounting the regulator I saw that a 45 degree AN fitting would have been ideal to move the line farther from the header:BangHead:.

Opening a can of worms, that's how the plumbing went. After looking at all the options I decided the cleanest routing would be to remove my negative cable (battery is in the trunk with +&- running down opposite sides) and route it along with the positive cable and of course I saw a cleaner pathway then previously installed so they both got moved around. This opened another can trying to figure out how to navigate around the parking break Y.. a bracket was made to address this. With the passenger side clear of everything was able to wrap up the plumbing minus 1 fitting plus plug off the mechanical fuel pump hole.

The only thing left under the car is wiring the pump which can't be done until the wiring upstairs is done so that's where I'm at. Fortunately I upgraded the wiring so I already had a fuel pump fuse, just needed to plug a wire into the back. This will be used to trigger a relay in the trunk getting it's power directly from the battery.
IMG_20230529_105021205_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230529_112130967_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230528_110357187.jpg
IMG_20230527_151411730_HDR.jpg

Fwiw, you may want to check where the front of the tank is at ride height.

My car is 1 deg down towards the front and the tank was still much higher in the front (where the pump is) compared to the middle of the tank.

I had to shim the front of the tank down (with rubber between tank and floor) 3/4"

That tank and parts looks identical to the Holley tank I purchased a few years ago. Tanks, Inc probably makes them.

I will say the Walbro 255lph pump started to crap out on mine. Replaced it with a Walbro 450lph and no issues since. The tank is very nice.

Fwiw, you may want to check where the front of the tank is at ride height.

My car is 1 deg down towards the front and the tank was still much higher in the front (where the pump is) compared to the middle of the tank.

I had to shim the front of the tank down (with rubber between tank and floor) 3/4"
What do you have car wise? Looking at these Chargers from the side the area where the pump sits appears to be the lowest then the tank gradually tapers up towards the rear bumper, I assume in an attempt to hide the tank. My car sits almost perfectly level but will look at it.

That tank and parts looks identical to the Holley tank I purchased a few years ago. Tanks, Inc probably makes them.

I will say the Walbro 255lph pump started to crap out on mine. Replaced it with a Walbro 450lph and no issues since. The tank is very nice.
Let's hope mine last longer because I elected to not cut a hole in my trunk, 19,000 miles and I've already had 3 mechanical pumps on it so....

I have a 69 Charger. The stock sending unit pulled from the center of the tank and that was the lowest point on mine.
Wasn't really noticeable until I measured from the ground.

Anyone that's in need of a tank let me know, I won't be needing it. The tank was brand new when installed, I painted it black but it still looks like new inside and the outside just needs washed off. I also have a new tank that I bought as a scratch and dent, won't need it either. Make me an offer, I just want them gone.
IMG_20230519_195306226_HDR.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back