• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vapor lock cured

Same here, only issues at this point is some gas smell in garage and it's not that bad. Car never died on me or wouldn't start, the things I did are more precautionary, only thing left that I can do is block my heat risers.
Hawk is correct though, fuel injection with timing control is the way to go for best of everything drivability and a completely closed system.

Factory carbs,holleys,quadrajets,autolites etc use to have vents that were capped automatically when the engine wasnt running. A person might make a similar system as a kit and maybe sell a few. Could be as simple as running the two vents of a holley together and a solonoid which caps this common vent when deenergized.

67 Charger has a 383 after 1st stop [ It is 97 degrees outside ] always hard to start ran rough a couple of miles, heat soaked or vapor lock you know ... Allen Bills at S and S carbs put a return line on my carburetor back to tank. Now it is 100 degrees outside I made 7 short stops car ran perfect each time i stopped NO heat soak NO vapor lock. I threw away the phenolic heat risers . Now I drive my car more, matter of fact thats all I drive hahaha. Hope this can help someone

Good to hear! I'm curious how he set it up... Did he use a regulator after the carb or did he restrict the amount of fuel going down the line with a small orifice?

Good to hear! I'm curious how he set it up... Did he use a regulator after the carb or did he restrict the amount of fuel going down the line with a small orifice?
Waterboy he used an orifice. I forgot to get pics of return line but will TRY to explain. Holley 750 double pumper 2 fuel lines going to carb bowl pass. side 2 fuel lines exit carb bowl driver side with orifice then back to tank. It actual keeps carb cooler acts like a small radiator for fuel Best improvement I have made.

Glad to hear, this was going to be my next step but the phenolic spacer, insulated lines and blocked off intake cross over seams to have mine cured. In the future I'll likely do the return line right off the bat, seams to be a better fix.

Waterboy he used an orifice. I forgot to get pics of return line but will TRY to explain. Holley 750 double pumper 2 fuel lines going to carb bowl pass. side 2 fuel lines exit carb bowl driver side with orifice then back to tank. It actual keeps carb cooler acts like a small radiator for fuel Best improvement I have made.

That's awesome and sounds like a great idea! Did he have to change the fuel bowls or did he just tap the ones you already had? If you could get a couple pictures for me it would be greatly appreciated!

That's awesome and sounds like a great idea! Did he have to change the fuel bowls or did he just tap the ones you already had? If you could get a couple pictures for me it would be greatly appreciated!
He used Dominator fuel bowls. But many of the double pumpers have fuel inlet on both sides of bowl. I an old and technically challenged but will get pics

Well I got 1 pic to upload the fuel comes in on left side of bowl exits right side. will try to get side view on next post

P8030152.JPG

mlktst:

Let me get this straight here. I think you helped me figure this out for my car with the pix you uploaded. On the factory set-up, they put a breather on the pass side valve cover with 1 or more nipples on it (depends on app.). My engine guy put a chrome breather on my motor. I was either going to replace it with a factory one with the nipple(s) something. On your set up, I now can leave the chrome one on and simply set my carb up like you pictured. I have a QF (Quick Fuel) carb which is basically like a Holley but not fully installed yet. One (so far) stainless line from pump. I might add 2 lines going in or plug up one of the feeds. But use 2 "fuel out" lines like you have using stainless, join together at rear of engine with a rubber line, then route line to back of engine to the passenger side and connect to the drain line (vent) going to the tank in back (line is NOT feet to carb). Attached is a photo of the driver's side of my carb. Do you know what size connections, adaptors, was used to connect the stainless lines out of carb? THANKS!

470.jpg

Last edited:
Sizes are the same as pass side. If you get dominator bowls they are setup like you want.

Sizes are the same as pass side. If you get dominator bowls they are setup like you want.

I don't know the passenger side size is right off hand. I'd have to look at the build of my engine, if I can find them

Don't know if I understood you correctly, but you must install a feed line to each bowl. There is no internal passage to get fuel from one bowl to the other. I also don't understand what the "breather" has to do with the fuel feed or return. Am I missing something?

Don't know if I understood you correctly, but you must install a feed line to each bowl. There is no internal passage to get fuel from one bowl to the other. I also don't understand what the "breather" has to do with the fuel feed or return. Am I missing something?

Sorry if I wasn't clearer on my post. I understand about the dual feed to the bowls. I'll have one coming from the pump, to a "T" and then to both bowls. Probably going to use -6 AN line and fittings.

As far as the breather: On some cars, there was a breather with up to 3 nipples on them. One of them was a line that returned to the vapor tank in the wheel well ('71). In '72, they made the tank smaller and moved it to the engine bay. Or do I have my lines crossed? I know I got my wires crossed..LOL

Thanks for clarifying... can't help you on the breather situation.

Auto Transport Service
Back