• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vent/Wing Window Frame-Division Channel Adjustment "Hooks" Size?

PurpleBeeper

Local time
11:08 AM
Reaction score
1970 Roadrunner convertible - I'm working on the door glass & vent window glass on my car. At the bottom of the division channel, down inside the door, there are two "adjustment L-hooks" that have broken off. I found one down inside the door & the other one is gone.

VentWindowBrackets_300dpi_white_thumb.png

I bought a replacement set of these "L-hooks" & the studs the loops ride on. Here are my problems.
1. Compared to the one OEM "L-hook" I have, the bottom of the "L" (with the loop on it) is maybe 1/4" longer on my replacements vs. the one original. Are there different "L-hooks"? Are convertible "L-hooks" different than hardtop/coupes? What should I do?

fyi-before I bought the reproduction "L-hooks", I took the one I have & made a mirror image copy from some thin sheet steel. The home-made one is "decent".

2. Since I don't have a good frame/L-hook to compare to, I'm confused as to exactly how to position these on the vent window frame before welding. Which one goes on which side & do they angle in or angle out? Anyone have a picture? I can't find my answer online.

The bracket slides up and down on the "pin" that bolts on the bottom of the door. There is a lot of vertical play.

The bracket slides up and down on the "pin" that bolts on the bottom of the door. There is a lot of vertical play.
Thanks. The problem I'm afraid I'll have with the new reproduction hooks isn't the vertical play though. I'm afraid that since that part of the bracket is about 1/4" longer my bracket hole will be 1/4" off & not line up with the "pin". Does that make more sense? Kind of hard to explain.

I have some vent frame alignment issues with the top corner of the vent frame vs. the A-pillar & convertible top. With the door closed, the top corner of the vent frame sticks outwards so it doesn't make a good seal with the A-pillar seal and/or top window seal (on convertible top). I'm hoping if I get these brackets back in correctly I can adjust the window division channel (back of vent window frame) to tilt inwards a little bit & align that vent window better.... I hope.

Thanks. The problem I'm afraid I'll have with the new reproduction hooks isn't the vertical play though. I'm afraid that since that part of the bracket is about 1/4" longer my bracket hole will be 1/4" off & not line up with the "pin". Does that make more sense? Kind of hard to explain.

I have some vent frame alignment issues with the top corner of the vent frame vs. the A-pillar & convertible top. With the door closed, the top corner of the vent frame sticks outwards so it doesn't make a good seal with the A-pillar seal and/or top window seal (on convertible top). I'm hoping if I get these brackets back in correctly I can adjust the window division channel (back of vent window frame) to tilt inwards a little bit & align that vent window better.... I hope.
The best fix I have found for that are two very small button head screw run in from the channel side spot weld holes into two tapped holes in the bracket. Run them down tight with an Allen Wrench, cut them flush and then TIG the threaded end to the bracket. Plug welds and spot welds will not hold. In the 70's we used nylon lock nuts and that worked, but the weld idea I think is better yet.

The best fix I have found for that are two very small button head screw run in from the channel side spot weld holes into two tapped holes in the bracket. Run them down tight with an Allen Wrench, cut them flush and then TIG the threaded end to the bracket. Plug welds and spot welds will not hold. In the 70's we used nylon lock nuts and that worked, but the weld idea I think is better yet.
Thanks chtampa! Ok, I'm trying to visualize this since I have never had a good look at one of those hooks actually attached to the run channel.

I can see the weld holes in the channel & how they line up with the hooks...but I don't know if the hooks attach "inside/outside or if they point left/right vs. channel" (if that makes any sense). The reproduction hooks I have did come with some small screws.

Also, what about the reproduction hooks being longer on the loop side vs. originals? I haven't removed my "pins" yet to see if they can be adjusted in/out & left/right. I am afraid that if I can't adjust the pins & I screw/weld on the reproduction hooks (longer loop side) it will completely throw off the alignment of the run channel/vent window frame. I just don't have any experience at all rebuilding these parts & I'm running blind.

Thanks chtampa! Ok, I'm trying to visualize this since I have never had a good look at one of those hooks actually attached to the run channel.

I can see the weld holes in the channel & how they line up with the hooks...but I don't know if the hooks attach "inside/outside or if they point left/right vs. channel" (if that makes any sense). The reproduction hooks I have did come with some small screws.

Also, what about the reproduction hooks being longer on the loop side vs. originals? I haven't removed my "pins" yet to see if they can be adjusted in/out & left/right. I am afraid that if I can't adjust the pins & I screw/weld on the reproduction hooks (longer loop side) it will completely throw off the alignment of the run channel/vent window frame. I just don't have any experience at all rebuilding these parts & I'm running blind.

See if these help. Appears to have an alignment hole for assembly.
DSCN1278.JPG
DSCN1279.JPG

The pin is tall and the loop is short. If I understand correctly, you may be over complicating. You are welcome to call me if you want . PM me for a number.

The pin is tall and the loop is short. If I understand correctly, you may be over complicating. You are welcome to call me if you want . PM me for a number.
Thank you...so is that the driver's side or passenger side vent window frame?

I have the lower pins out now & can see that where it attaches is a large c-clip which allows for a lot of adjustability. Even welded on, the "hooks" seem like the weak link in the vent window frame attachment. It doesn't look like a place I should "side load" the "hook"/pin to force the alignment of the vent window frame.

I'm thinking I want to try to align the vent window (if possible) with just the top attachment/adjustment bolts first. Then, adjust the pin front/back/side as needed so the "hook" bracket lines up with the bottom of the back vent widow frame channel (division channel) & the pin itself. Pre-fit the "hook" & mark its location on the division channel and attached it with screws/TIG at that spot......sort of "pre-aligning" the vent window & welding the "hook" on afterwards.

1970 Roadrunner convertible - I'm working on the door glass & vent window glass on my car. At the bottom of the division channel, down inside the door, there are two "adjustment L-hooks" that have broken off. I found one down inside the door & the other one is gone.

View attachment 681280

I bought a replacement set of these "L-hooks" & the studs the loops ride on. Here are my problems.
1. Compared to the one OEM "L-hook" I have, the bottom of the "L" (with the loop on it) is maybe 1/4" longer on my replacements vs. the one original. Are there different "L-hooks"? Are convertible "L-hooks" different than hardtop/coupes? What should I do?

fyi-before I bought the reproduction "L-hooks", I took the one I have & made a mirror image copy from some thin sheet steel. The home-made one is "decent".

2. Since I don't have a good frame/L-hook to compare to, I'm confused as to exactly how to position these on the vent window frame before welding. Which one goes on which side & do they angle in or angle out? Anyone have a picture? I can't find my answer online.

The convertible ones are different

The convertible ones are different
Moparparts you rock! That would explain a lot & why my one factory "hook" is shorter vs. the reproduction ones. I guess I will stick with my same plan EXCEPT I will use the original hook + the copy of it I made from sheet metal. THANK YOU

How are they different? Do you happen to have a picture of each? Mine may have to wrong ones put on.
Don't have pics, already sold the ones i had. The divisional run channel from the hardtop to convertible are different thus requiring a different lower bracket. The angle and length/width of the bracket are different

Don't have pics, already sold the ones i had. The divisional run channel from the hardtop to convertible are different thus requiring a different lower bracket. The angle and length/width of the bracket are different
I have what I believe to be convert and one I know is from a HT. If I set them side by side and post a picture, can you identify it for me?

I have what I believe to be convert and one I know is from a HT. If I set them side by side and post a picture, can you identify it for me?
I would not be able to tell from a pic any longer for sure, it has been too many years ago and i don't have those pics as i went through at least 1 if not 2 computers since then, LOL. There are too many variables including ones from a 4-door/wagon and A-Body ones that are similar but they are all different. Maybe the OP can supply a pic of one of his from his convertible as it sounds like he may still have one that was inside his door.

Here is a picture of one I took out of a HT door and one that was stored back that may have come on my convertible. Can anyone ID the correct one?
DSCN1289.JPG
DSCN1290.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back